Assignment Assistant, Jobulator or SubJobSearch?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by PCdiva, Jan 26, 2010.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone had experience, good or bad with these? I am returning to subbing and spent hours refreshing the AESOP page only to find nothing at all. I was thinking there must be a better way and began a google search....it seems there is....3 better way's. I am now trying to figure out if it is too good to be true and get your words of wisdom! Thanks!

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use jobulator. It is AWESOME! It's the only way I get jobs, and I get them everyday. A lot of times, it's in the middle of the night, so if you don't mind being woken up to take a job...then go for it! (of course you can always turn it off at night ;)).

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I use Jobulator too! It works very well for me. I have a laptop at home, so I can move the computer to whatever room I'm at.

Jobulator make a little "ringing" sound when a job pops up. So, you can quickly click on Aesop and see if it's something that interests you. (You can also use the Jobulator widget to accept or decline the job.) With that ringing sound, you don't have to constant check, check, check Aesop.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Thank you for your replies....so if you have a laptop do you need to leave it on and open for it to work? My computer locks after not using it for a period of time (which Im sure I can turn off) or does this program running give the computer a sense that someone is on and it wont go to the screensaver?

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

When I come home from work, I turn my computer on and leave it on until I go to bed. I had my husband adjust my laptop so that the screensaver would not come on.

7. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use assignment assistant. I tried jobulator, but was unable to get jobs while subbing(no computer access). Assignment assistant will automatically accept jobs for you. You can type in keywords to keep it from accepting jobs you don't want (phys. ed. for example). My only complaint is that sometimes this feature doesn't work. It's a great program.

8. azure

azure Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use subjobsearch and I like it a lot. It accepts the job for you while you're gone. So you don't have to be around to hear a bell and run to your computer. You can set it to only accept full days or accept full and/or half days. You can exclude certain teachers, and you put in the buildings you're willing to sub in, so if you only want to do elementary, you wouldn't list any middle or high schools. I work every day and no more frustration sitting there checking AESOP constantly.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 27, 2010

Wow sounds so convenient! I am in the process of working with Kelly Subs and they use AESOP. So I hope to take advantage of these great programs.

Thanks!

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Awesome....so youre computer is on all day while you are at work? Do you use a desktop or a laptop?

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I'm curious about the cost for the different job finders.

I was part of the Jobulator trial last year. So, this year I paid half of the regular yearly price. I'm not sure, but I think it cost me $20 for this school year (full year price - $40).

What are the rest of you paying???

12. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I paid $40 for jobulator.

For those who use assignment assistant--does it go by your preferences in Aesop? In Aesop, I set it up to only find jobs for elementary school (I do not want to sub middle or high school)...so will assignment assistant only search for elementary jobs as well? Or would I have to set that up separately through the AA app?

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Interesting GlendaLL, So was the district aware you were using this?

I started my research last night and the prices were more...9.95 a month for AA and $90-/yr for SUbjobsearch.

It sounds good right now, but logistically once this gets out, every one will be using it and then we will be back to square one with few jobs to find. For that reason I would be hesitant to spend $90- upfront.

Also those of you using AA, is there a contract, if another leave replacement comes up- which is likely with the amount of pregnant people in the buildings, then I would no longer need the service.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

PCDiva - Every so often, there will be a message on Aesop about signing up for Jobulator. So, yes - the schools using Aesop are aware of Jobulator.

15. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 27, 2010

Assignement Assistant is 9.95 a month, no contract. Can end the service at any time. Because of the way it's installed on your desktop, Aesop is unaware the program is running. It works both with your preferences in Aesop & you can add preferences on AA. For instance, my district doesn't allow me to disallow phys. ed jobs from showing up on Aesop, but I can set AA up so it won't accept phys. ed. jobs. All it does is refresh the Aesop page every few seconds, if a job shows it automatically takes it.

PC Diva...I agree with you about the logistics. I'm enjoying it now while it lasts. I only need until March, then I start a job until the end of the school year.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Does anyone know how long these things have been around for? THe message boards on Assignment Assistant only go back to November, Im wondering if it's that new because if so, it is sure to spread quickly!