Assignment Assistant, Jobulator or SubJobSearch?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by PCdiva, Jan 26, 2010.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone had experience, good or bad with these? I am returning to subbing and spent hours refreshing the AESOP page only to find nothing at all. I was thinking there must be a better way and began a google search....it seems there is....3 better way's. I am now trying to figure out if it is too good to be true and get your words of wisdom! Thanks!

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use jobulator. It is AWESOME! It's the only way I get jobs, and I get them everyday. A lot of times, it's in the middle of the night, so if you don't mind being woken up to take a job...then go for it! (of course you can always turn it off at night ;)).

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I use Jobulator too! It works very well for me. I have a laptop at home, so I can move the computer to whatever room I'm at.

Jobulator make a little "ringing" sound when a job pops up. So, you can quickly click on Aesop and see if it's something that interests you. (You can also use the Jobulator widget to accept or decline the job.) With that ringing sound, you don't have to constant check, check, check Aesop.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Thank you for your replies....so if you have a laptop do you need to leave it on and open for it to work? My computer locks after not using it for a period of time (which Im sure I can turn off) or does this program running give the computer a sense that someone is on and it wont go to the screensaver?

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

When I come home from work, I turn my computer on and leave it on until I go to bed. I had my husband adjust my laptop so that the screensaver would not come on.

7. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use assignment assistant. I tried jobulator, but was unable to get jobs while subbing(no computer access). Assignment assistant will automatically accept jobs for you. You can type in keywords to keep it from accepting jobs you don't want (phys. ed. for example). My only complaint is that sometimes this feature doesn't work. It's a great program.

8. azure

azure Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I use subjobsearch and I like it a lot. It accepts the job for you while you're gone. So you don't have to be around to hear a bell and run to your computer. You can set it to only accept full days or accept full and/or half days. You can exclude certain teachers, and you put in the buildings you're willing to sub in, so if you only want to do elementary, you wouldn't list any middle or high schools. I work every day and no more frustration sitting there checking AESOP constantly.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 27, 2010

Wow sounds so convenient! I am in the process of working with Kelly Subs and they use AESOP. So I hope to take advantage of these great programs.

Thanks!

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Awesome....so youre computer is on all day while you are at work? Do you use a desktop or a laptop?

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

I'm curious about the cost for the different job finders.

I was part of the Jobulator trial last year. So, this year I paid half of the regular yearly price. I'm not sure, but I think it cost me $20 for this school year (full year price - $40).

What are the rest of you paying???

12. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I paid $40 for jobulator.

For those who use assignment assistant--does it go by your preferences in Aesop? In Aesop, I set it up to only find jobs for elementary school (I do not want to sub middle or high school)...so will assignment assistant only search for elementary jobs as well? Or would I have to set that up separately through the AA app?

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Interesting GlendaLL, So was the district aware you were using this?

I started my research last night and the prices were more...9.95 a month for AA and $90-/yr for SUbjobsearch.

It sounds good right now, but logistically once this gets out, every one will be using it and then we will be back to square one with few jobs to find. For that reason I would be hesitant to spend $90- upfront.

Also those of you using AA, is there a contract, if another leave replacement comes up- which is likely with the amount of pregnant people in the buildings, then I would no longer need the service.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

PCDiva - Every so often, there will be a message on Aesop about signing up for Jobulator. So, yes - the schools using Aesop are aware of Jobulator.

15. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 27, 2010

Assignement Assistant is 9.95 a month, no contract. Can end the service at any time. Because of the way it's installed on your desktop, Aesop is unaware the program is running. It works both with your preferences in Aesop & you can add preferences on AA. For instance, my district doesn't allow me to disallow phys. ed jobs from showing up on Aesop, but I can set AA up so it won't accept phys. ed. jobs. All it does is refresh the Aesop page every few seconds, if a job shows it automatically takes it.

PC Diva...I agree with you about the logistics. I'm enjoying it now while it lasts. I only need until March, then I start a job until the end of the school year.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

Does anyone know how long these things have been around for? THe message boards on Assignment Assistant only go back to November, Im wondering if it's that new because if so, it is sure to spread quickly!

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Jobulator had a trial run last year in a handful of states. This is the first year that they have been available to anyone.

18. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 27, 2010

Assignment assistant has been around for quite a while, I believe. They just recently started the message board feature on the website.

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2010

Update!

So, I've had AA running on my computer 24/7 and it hasnt automatically accepted anything...so Im not so sure it works...it does a fabulous job of refreshing every 15 seconds so I can see if something pops up. But I have to be within eye shot of the computer. One of my friends has said the same thing....oh well it sounded good!

20. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

I guess you have to be at the right place in the right time.

21. springmac

springmac Companion

Feb 3, 2010

Maybe there haven't been many jobs, PCdiva? Just guessing...sub jobs have been slow here too. I changed my parameters so that AA is refreshing every 7 seconds. I've been getting jobs...just not a lot right now. Usually Nov-Dec and May are the busiest times. I got a ton of jobs before Christmas.

22. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

Not to scare anybody, but could it be the March 15 deadline?

23. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Feb 3, 2010

I'm trying this out too...do you have your parameters set for accept jobs the day after tomorrow? That is what I've kept mine on and I've been getting jobs! Sometimes mine automatically logs out as well which is kind of frustrating. Double check you don't just have it accepting jobs for today or tomorrow because if you leave it that way for the next day...it will be "searching" for something in the past.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2010

Thats what I was thinking with the tomorrow, beyond, etc. It was a little confusing...so now I just put it to the actual date this way it will search for the day I want, like thursday when I went to work I typed in Fridays actual date...but nothing came up...I think its the settings that my district is using...Im going to give it a few more days

25. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2010

What is the March 15 deadline? Is that a Cali thing?

26. azure

azure Companion

Feb 11, 2010

It is not available to everyone. It's only available if your school district agrees to have it available and mine does not. Therefore I got SubJobSearch. It accepts jobs automatically when you're not at home. It's worked great for me.

27. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

The March 15 deadline is the day when districts decide who to layoff. I mentioned this day because it could account for the slowdown in sub jobs. I am not sure though.

28. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

Oh, we dont have that March 15 day in NY.

I am working often, not today though bc its the day before february break and teachers get docked pay if they call in sick or personal for today.

I have 3 computers in my house...I think it just doesnt agree with Vista...bc it shuts down all the time...on my other computer it seems to work however Ive gotten more jobs by requests so they dont actually go to Aesop. So I dont know if it would work or if there just really is nothing to accept off of aesop.

Jobulator is also not available in my school.

29. Hare

Hare New Member

Feb 16, 2010

Folks,

I wrote a polite letter to subjobsearch by email to find out more about their program and here is what I got.

I am looking at the other two options to accept Aesop sub jobs but am unable to find reviews about your program. Do you offer a trial period, so that I can judge whether I would like to use your program, rather than the others?
    \
    \
    Sent: Tue 2/16/10 3:02 PM
    To: richardheer@hotmail.com
    Dear Richard
    SubJobSearch is the best program of it's kind on the market, so we don't offer free trials. We recommend that you go with one of the other two low quality options that are available.
    Sincerely
    JRM Software Solutions

Wow, this is not a friendly, top marketing mogul is it. I am afraid, that as much as I would like to try this program, this email would scare me away.

Thanks,

Hare

30. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2010

WOW, that is sooo rude! I can not believe that a company would write that...I did not like the fact that you couldnt subscribe monthly to it and had to pay upfront...to me that is not worth it because hopefully (fingers crossed) I will get another leave replacement this year and not have to use it for much longer than a month. (It does appear that they lowered their price...it was around $150/year when I first started looking).

Good Luck!

31. springmac

springmac Companion

Feb 17, 2010

Wow...that is pretty rude. I would think if they were really confident in their product, they would offer a small trial. Poor marketing.

32. MyOpinion

MyOpinion New Member

Feb 23, 2010

The "Hare" is probably a scammer

I think the “Hare” is probably a software scammer. Don’t you think that these software companies have lists of scammers that they avoid doing business with? The “Hare” probably exhausted their free tries with other companies and was looking for more free software. It looks like the “Hare” got out smarted and the company declined their business. I don’t blame the company for protecting their software and their legitimate customers from rip off’s. As for free tries, Springmac probably doesn’t understand that free tries are very easy to get around. There is free software all over the Internet that will bypass most free tries and make them unlimited. As a customer, I appreciate that the company is keeping my competition down by preventing people from easily getting free software to use against me.

33. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Mar 3, 2010

I use SubJobSearch, it is terrific! Just set it, & I never sit around the computer. I have another job in the evening & when I get home, I have one for the next morning.

34. carol2010

carol2010 Rookie

Apr 11, 2010

i have been trying subsidekick and really like it. I tried assignment assistant and subjobsearch but they crashed, logged out, or made annoying clicking sounds. No problems so far with this program.

35. azure

azure Companion

Apr 11, 2010

I don't want to pay the additional monthly cost to have texting on my phone.

I like subjobsearch and they say they will have a way to once again automatically accept jobs for you (thereby getting around the manual two digit code insertion now necessary on AESOP) by next school year.

36. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 11, 2010

I've looked at this type of thing, but it just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's because I've only missed 3 days since Christmas break and not really many days before that either.

But don't you worry about getting requested? I would hate to tell a teacher that I was available and then have one of these programs grab a job for me. I also can't imagine that whoever runs the subbing for the districts likes it. So if/when they shut stuff down I'll know what I'm doing in order to get jobs.

Mostly though, it's the being requested. Most of the teachers that I've subbed for I've run into later and they said they'd like to have me back in their room. I really don't want to mess that up.

37. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

For the requesting issue, does Aesop or the accepting program have a cancel job option? If you tell a teacher you are available, then come home to find the program has booked a job...can you just cancel that job? Someone else would be sure to grab it up. But I'm not sure if there is a cancel job feature...I know the sub program I go through just recently got one.

38. azure

azure Companion

Apr 11, 2010

Yes, AESOP has a cancel feature.

I don't worry about getting requested because when they request me in person, I just tell them I need to check my schedule to be sure, which is usually true, and then I can see if the day is open. If it is, we book it right then and there together on AESOP.

Right now, after what AESOP added to their acceptance procedure (the two digit code), none of those programs can auto accept, so you can't get jobs while you're away, but they have added the audible sound alert when a new job pops up so you don't have to just sit by the computer checking & checking.

39. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

Each district can subscribe to Aesop in a different way, My friend subs in 2 districts and I have logged into her account and seen the differences, our mutual district does not allow jobs to be canceled or any requests her other district does.

I never found Assignment Assistant to work and they just sent out an email saying that they cracked the 2 digit code....it didnt work for me during the trial period so I highly doubt they would be able to get over the code.

There are applications out there that are free and will refresh your page for you and notify you if anything is different from the last refresh....which makes there no reason to have any of these programs....It just took me a while to figure it out!

40. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 12, 2010

That's basically what I do, except it's a Firefox extension and not another program to run.

41. carol2010

carol2010 Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

You can also receive emails or a sound and popup alert on your computer. It currently works with the two digit code insertion and can auto accept. :)

I like using it just so I can have more preference in what jobs I get. Otherwise, I have to worry that if I don't accept a job, I might not get one later. Basically, I can be more choosy and I like that.