Assigning reading HW

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Aug 20, 2021.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 20, 2021

Do you assign reading HW? If so, what form do you use? I teach 6th grade!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2021

I did for many years when it was required by the district. I had a form that had questions/ directions on it that could be used to go with the standards. They had to write out the answers using complete sentences. I changed them every so often to other standards. : 1. Write a short summary of what you read. 2. Find a cause and effect relationship in what you read. 3.Pick a word you don't think your average 6th grader would know the meaning of from the text. What does the word mean? How did you figure out the meaning? 4. Did you like the text? Explain why or why not. etc.
    At my last school, we did book shares on Fridays for a few years. Then parents started getting really lazy and unable to parent their kids well enough to insist they sit down and get it done.
    Parents whined that their kids were up until midnight doing what should have been a 20-30minute assignment. The district caved and homework was no longer encouraged or supported in grades K-6. That was the end of homework for all of us. The only exception I did was if the parents asked for (wanted) extra practice.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    nstructor and otterpop like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 21, 2021

I have given a variety of homework assignments for reading, including online practice, a detailed reading log, a very simple reading log with a big push to “make sure you read!”, and packets/workbook pages. I hate packets but they were consistently the most completed and beneficial to the largest group of kids, because most actually completed them as intended. They had to be very straightforward, answer the comprehension question type assignments (I also included grammar and spelling, if you teach that). The online assignments were good but easy to ignore as parents would say “She said it was done” but never actual check; the detailed reading logs, some would do a great job but some were just not willing to read and then write that much; the “make sure you read!” encouragement without lots of written work just meant many would lie about reading.

I did also used to assign book projects, one per quarter where they read a chapter book and complete a large project. Some of those were very rushed our kids didn’t actually read the whole thing, but they did get pretty good participation overall.

I think the success of whatever you choose depends on the students, families, and school climate, and whether there will be follow through at home with making it a priority. Every school and district is probably different.

Tired Teacher and nstructor like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2021

Bingo! We did reading logs too with younger kids. Their parents had to sign off that the child had read. The student was responsible for writing the title, author, date, and a bit more. This encouraged straight reading. It worked with honest parents only. Unfortunately, too many parents just signed off.
    1x I got one from a schoolboard member's kid.
    The title and author were misspelled terribly. I explained to the 3rd grader that it was important to use the book to spell words correctly. She explained she was writing it in the car before school and did not have the book.
    With a couple more questions, the cute, innocent little girl explained that she had not had time to read, but her mom just told her to write a title of a book she'd read a long time ago! I could never look at that mom the same way!
    What a role model as a schoolboard member!

nstructor likes this.