Assigning Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Doublescoop, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I want to find a FAST way to assign jobs in the morning so that the kids can get them done as soon as they arrive rather than making the rest of the class wait while they fill in the calendar, etc. Last year I put cards on their lockers if they had a job but all that sticky tacking took too long. Ideas?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 15, 2007

Put the name of the job on a library pocket, and then their names on index cards. Just move them down each day... better, yet, one job can be to change the jobs at the end of the day. You could also make a wheel, with the jobs on the inside, and the names on the outside. You spin the inside of the wheel one space each day. You can make this with a circle of construction paper, and a brass brad. I change my jobs every week, so the moving cards doesn't seem such a big deal. I can understand how doing it daily would be a hassle. What if you put a magnent on the back of each job (laminate them) if their lockers are metal, just stick one on each locker, and move it down each day.

Do any of these things in the afternoon before school gets out or in the a.m. before the arrive. The wheel would be the hardest to make, but the easiest to change. I had a wheel type system in my student teaching.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2007

Do you have students choose jobs everyday???? If that is the case, couldn't they choose jobs once a week or biweekly??? All I do is when it is time to choose jobs, I call one table at a time and they move their name to the job they want. We do this usually after lunch and it usually takes us about 10 minutes!! Done. I wouldn't assign jobs daily. How do they keep up with what job they have when it changes so often??

5. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I use a pocket chart and clothespins. Each child has a clothespin with their name on it. The pocket chart has index cards labeled with the jobs in it. I rotate the clothespins before I leave in the afternoon and students know that as soon as they unpack they need to check the "job wall" to see if they have a position for the day.

6. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 16, 2007

I started last year using library pockets and changing them every monring, but then I'd forget to do them so I changed and made the students apply for jobs and changed them just every quarter. That way they usually got a job they liked and they always knew what their job was.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

This year I won't change the jobs but I will change the tables. Each table has some jobs they are responsible for. Since I move my kids to different tables weekly anyway for the first two months of school (then every two weeks) I figured it would be a lot easier to have the table groups responsible for the jobs, rather than each individual child. I will see how this works! The tables are organized by color- so the job chart has the descriptions in the same color. Each table has a daily job, like washing their table, stacking chairs, etc. But are also responsible for an area of the room to tidy and clean, including the floor and any shelves in that area.

8. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 16, 2007

I change jobs about every 2-3 weeks. I have like paper passer, water plant, lights, board person, a teacher assistant. i also give them the choice if they want the job i give them, they can't choice the job.

9. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

This year every morning on the board it will say Miss_snugs helpers today are (boy name and girl name). These two students will help out all day, paper passer, note messenger, water plants, line leader, etc. This way there is nothing to keep track of and everyone gets to do every job. Also if someone is absent I just move to the next name on the list. I tried changing jobs once a month last year and it just got too confusing who had what job when.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

I teach first grade and also use a pocket system. I make a pocket chart w/library book card pockets. the pocket has the job on it, an index card has the students' names. This is all on poster board. I put the names in according to alphabetical order of last name (each child has a number assigned). We change at the end of Friday. Everyone can see what job they have, what job they will have next, and how many weeks till the job they really want. It makes job assignments so easy! I think it would be a little chaotic to change the jobs every day???