assigned seats?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teach42, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

When I taught high school I always had assigned seats. I started the year off with them being alphabetical, with maybe a bit of tweaking to keep the tables gender even (I taught foods classes as a FCS teacher and the students sat 6 to a table and the 6 people all worked in one kitchen on food lab days and I tried to avoid groups with 5 of one gender and 1 of one). Then as the year went on I switched seats based on who was able to work best with who. A lot of the students didn't like it and would try to sit with whoever they wanted but I consistently made them move back to their assigned seats. Keeping chatting to a minimum with a table situation and 30 students was hard enough without the students choosing to sit with friends.

2. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

I had a math teacher in middle school who handed back tests from highest to lowest. Yeah, lovely. Although I usually was in the top half I still remember hating it. And she had this awful grin when giving the tests back to the lowest people like she took pleasure in their bad grades. Urgh.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 20, 2012

I had a teacher in high school who did the same thing.

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 20, 2012

I think the students with As got to choose their seats and the teacher reorganized the other kids around their choices.

5. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Aug 20, 2012

I post grades in my classroom with ID numbers. Some students get very competitive and it makes them work harder. I also post how many A's and B's each period has (and their class average) and it creates some competition between the periods. I don't fan those flames - no rewards for the highest, no punishments for the lowest, I don't even comment much about it, but it's there and they notice.

I teach in a population where many students aren't checking their grades regularly even though they're available online. This gives them no excuse to know their grade. I also list how many missing assignments each person has.

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

I let them sit where they want for the first 3 half days because we don't get class lists beforehand, then over the weekend I make a chart seating them by first names so i can learn them faster. The seating chart gets tweaked throughout the year.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

I assign my kids seats in alphabetical order before our first class, then move on to more important things.

They don't spend a whole lot of time talking to their neighbors, so all that really mattrs is that they can see and hear; they know that if the've landed in a place where that's an issue, they can speak to me and I'll adjust it. If we do group work, everyone changes seats anyway.

It's really a non-issue. Having a seating chart makes daily attendance go a whole lot quicker, and helps the sub when I'm out. It's really not something I spend a lot of time or thought on.

8. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 21, 2012

I'll have emotional/learning support students ranging from 7-12 grade. My class sizes range from 3 (with one doing computer based learning) to 20. Every single class will have assigned seats, even the class of 3.