Assigned Seats on Pre-K Carpet?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SittinInATree, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Do you assign seats on your pre-k carpet?

I was told this room did this before but I don't know about it...

Thanks!

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Yes, I do - I think it's important that each child have a familiar place and can have their own personal space. I use carpet rectangles and they always sit in the same spot unless I move them...the same goes for tables :)

4. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 3, 2008

How do you label that spot? With just their name? LOL, I guess I am combining topics here, whoops!

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

YES! I assign spots on the rug. I make up a seating chart and the kids just memorize their spot. It's sort of easy because of the design of my rug...it's already in rows, each row made of circles that are colored. The background is blue, and I have a red row, a yellow row, a purple row, etc. I show the kids their spots, post the chart, and then they sort of just remember it. I also move their spots around abotu monthly so that they get to sit in different locations next to different kids.

It helps sooooo much with control - and jockeying to sit next to so-and-so.
    Kim
    Kim

6. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I don't have a designed rug, so the kids just know which carpet rectangle they sit on, but I've also used felt rectangles in the past

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 3, 2008

My carpet has squares and everyone gets a square. I have vinyl squares that are sticky back that my dad gets me free from work. I write their names on the square...a blue one for the AM kid a red one for the PM kid...and stick them on. They stay on for only a day or two, peel up with no effort at all, so I can remove them easily, and by the second day the kids know where their spots are. I change them every month or so.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 3, 2008

I don't assign spots at cirlce time-- the children are allowed to choose a cushion to sit on and I start the year with a strip of masking tape on the carpet that they place the cushion on-- the tape is only to give them a concrete spacial concept of how far from me to sit--otherwise they tend to creep closer and closer to me until they are so close that I'm stepping on them. I have two rules about sitting at circle. Cushions stay on the floor and bottoms stay on the cushions. As long as they are paying attention I don't care if they wiggle a bit. I only change where they are sitting if there is a problem between children that they can't resolve on their own or that is too distracting to the rest of us.

9. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I have a large class (25 w/ a co-teacher) and I have to use painter's tape for group time. I don't label names, I just ask them to sit on a blue line. It helps get them in a row and I can move kids as I choose. After x-mas I won't have to use the tape anymore, they will instinctively sit in lines.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 4, 2008

We have assigned seating for the most part in here. Some of mine just CANNOT sit by certain others without getting in trouble. Some can't sit by anyone without bugging the stew out of them. I'd say their places aren't set in stone, but if a seating arrangement works, fine, if not, move them until it does. :)

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

I do not assign seats. We use carpet squares which I lay out in a semi-circle and the children choose a book and a seat when they arrive and wait for circle time ( just a few minutes). If children can't sit next to each other for one reason or another (they don't get along, they talk to each other too much, etc.), I will just separate them. I like the idea of them choosing their own spots and trying to work out differences on their own. It fosters independence. Obviously, if I am needed, I will step in.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 5, 2008

I didn't at the beginning of the year... but by the end of the year, the kid were getting really "cliquey" and hard a really hard time sitting by their friends without touching them, talking to them, etc... so I started assigning seats. I gave them a different letter each day... and that way, I could easily swap them around based on who was there.

13. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 5, 2008

I have assigned seats that I change periodically throughout the year. Mine are just labeled with a piece of masking tape.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I don't assign seats for circle time either. If they cannot sit quietly next to a friend, they are moved. And since we are up and down, moving around throughout my lesson, carpet squares wouldn't work anyway.

15. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 5, 2008

I have a carpet that has 16 large shapes on it. At the beginning of the year I let the children chose which shape to sit on. By the end of the year I assign seats. Those that can't pay attention sit up front and the chatty ones are separated.

16. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I have assigned seats on my rug. I have done this several ways. My first year I used red duct tape with name/symbol on the floor. The second year I had a rug and they just learned who they sat next to. Now I have a large rug with circles on it and they have their assigned circle. I will change their spots periodically throughout the year as well.
    The kids need this though, it gives them structure and a sense of security.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

eeek! 25... I have 20 and 20 (am/pm) ...oh no.

You have your work cut out for you!

tell me you only have one session...

:unsure:

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

I don't assign seats either. I have seen others do it, and I hate it with a passion. They are too territorial for me. I cannot get through my circle time without somebody getting touchy over who is too close, and who is sitting on their 'H'.

Things happen every day. Kids throw up or have accidents, and that spot can't be used. Meetings are called, subs must come in, or your aide takes over and they will move them. Kids are absent-others will move into their spots, big kids take up two spaces, little kids seem smooshed between spaces. I say there is enough room for all, get in where you fit in. When they start arguing, I sit on a spot, and they immediately get quiet. I show them that if I can sit anywhere, they can too. :dizzy:

I say, there is plenty of time for sitting in assign seats. I may put names on chairs, but I won't even assign spots at tables, because first of all, you have to sanitize them before and after eating, and they play with them too much, and for all the other reasons...you have to move them too much.

Keep life simple!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

How's it going clarnet! good to see you!