assigned order for lining up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sevenplus, Jul 27, 2008.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

I am contemplating assigning my students a place in line so that they always line up in the same order and there is no fussing.

Have you done this? How did it work?

I would think it would be pretty easy if you are lining up in the classroom. I could just call numbers. But what if they are coming from the playground? Or after using the bathroom?

I'm sure they'd learn to do it eventually, but I'm picturing great confusion at times.

Help me think through this, please!

3. mrsfroggey

mrsfroggey Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

assigned order for lining up

Hi there. I have taught 1st grade for a year and a half. When I took over the class for the 2nd half of the year, they were already in alphabetical order for lining up. I kept this for my first full year of teaching also. I think that it really helps with "he but me..." or when subs come in it is great to be able to write in sub plans that the students are in the same order as the class list, and to just tell them to get in their special spots. My students lined up this way for everyone. I will continue using it.

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I gave my students numbers at the beginning of the school year, based upon alphabetical order. When I collected papers, I would count backwards from 21 to 1...my papers were then in alphabetcal order to enter into the gradebook. When my students were fighting about place in line, I began to have them line up in numerical order as well. It was confusing for the first day or two, but once they got into the habit, it was not a problem. The only exception to this was the line leader, which was a weekly assigned job.

5. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am still thinking about this myself. I might give it a try.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

I've done it before, especially when I notice my kids are having trouble with their line manners:) I do a number order based on their cubbies (basically abc order unless I've had new students enter the room). I usually don't start the year with it, but when I need to use it, we do it for the rest of the year:)

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I assign the kids a line order during the second week of school. I don't do it alphabetically, I just assign them randomly and separate any kids that I think would talk to each other. I get advice from the previous teacher about who should be separated.

8. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I think it works and I think it helps them know where they stand there isn't any fighting :)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I have always just had the kids line up boy/girl- but I am thinking about doing this for this year.

10. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I have kids line up by their classroom number too.

I point out the number line and just ask them to line up in "number line order." To change things up, I also have them line up in "reverse number line order" and "number line order with the odds/evens first."

If they argue, refuse, etc. I give them the 'chance' to practice during part of recess. They usually catch on pretty quickly:D.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

By halfway through this last year, all of my students had assigned spots in line. I had them line up according to their math number. I had one child who was supposed to always be last because she really couldn't tollerate others being too close. I had others that were injuring people to try to be first in line. Having assigned spots solved that problem and the specials teachers thanked me many many times for that! :)

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

I started with chalk numbers on playground then went to paint. Spacing is critical - stand facing forward, put your arm straight out (and to sides if double lines). This is how far from each student. Any closer and still can touch, grab, poke etc. In the room it's arms' distance when lining (we practice first day/week). Kids line up randomly then are moved according to behavior.

Separating friends and goof offs is all about proactive and eliminates about 80% of problems. Where teacher stands (back of line) eliminates most others.

13. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

My kindergarten students line up in line order. I start on the first day of school by calling them to line up in the order I want them to be in. They learn their place in line and are expected to line up in this order any time they are in line...outside on the playground or at specials. I have no problems with people cutting. Each day I have a Leader of the Day and that person gets to be the line leader, so they each get a chance to do that. I also have a job as Caboose so each person gets a chance at that, as well. I love this system and can't imagine ever not having a line order.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

When I student taught Kinder the kids lined up in alphabetical order by first name. I loved it and definitely recommend it. In my class the same kid was always the line leader. In some of the other K classes the line leader got to change each week and the rest stayed the same.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I started doing this during the year last year because the students were messing around so much, trying to stand next to certain people in line. Once they figure out who they should always stand behind and in front of, it's not confusing at all.

Well, let me rephrase that - it's usually not confusing. If the person who should be in front of them happens to be absent, that can sometimes cause confusion, but usually others would remind them that soandso is absent.

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

I use a line order in third grade. It solves the problem of kids pushing each other.

17. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

In my class each child has a number and that is how they line up all the time. It really only takes a few times and they've got it down--and they are first graders.

18. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Having grown up with a "W" last name, I always hated being at the end of the line. So, I have my students line up in ABC order the first grading period and ZYX order the second. For the final two periods I create new lines that get the middle kids in the front.

The kids really get excited when they know it's almost time to change the lines.

19. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Any fifth grade teachers assign a line order?

20. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

When they line up I tell them to look at the person in front of them and the person behind them so that they can remember their place. I carry around a clipboard with their line order so that I could remember. I also give someone the job of being the line manager to help students get in place. They usually catch on pretty quick.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

I made them line up in "number order"(alphabetical) for the 2nd half of the school year. They couldn't stop talking in the hall and walking in a clump.
    I also rotated the line leader. #1 went to the end of the line after a week and #2 led. After a week #2 went to the end and 3 led.

22. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

Loomistrout mentioned chalk numbers to line up on the playground. I think that would work well for us (unless we have a rainy fall :unsure:).

Does anyone else do something like that or do they learn pretty quickly how far back they need to stand to leave room for the people that need to be in front of them?

23. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

I didn't assign an order for lines last year, but I did for the carpet and for a performance we did at our assembly. You have to remind them to look at their neighbors (look to the left, look to the right) and you really only have to clarify for a day or two. It worked out very well. I may do assigned line spaces next year. Just remember to tell the kids what to do if a student is absent!

24. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

I know this doesn't work for the playground, but does your school have tile floors? We do (large tiles... a kid could fit on one easily) and my rule is one per tile. That helps a bit.

25. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I also have kids line up by their classroom number. In the beginning, there is a bit of confusion since they are still trying to remember their own number but after a week or so, they really do have it down, so much to the point where if #9 goes to line up first, he'll know to stand somewhere in the middle. Also, in order to give every kid a chance to be first in line, I have line leader as a weekly job so eventually #20 gets to be in front for a week. But honestly, I've never had the kids in the back complain that they are in the back. I think it's just understood that they are in line order.

26. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I assign my class a spot on the line where they stay unless I neeed to change them.This avoids the problems of who's first on line and friends getting together to talk.This also makes it easier to assign partners for trips.

27. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

My kiddos didn't have a problem at all remembering their spots in line. For the first few days, I just used my class list to call them up and eventually they just memorized the order.