Assessments

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by teach123, Aug 13, 2006.

1. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

What kind of assessments do you give in Preschool? It has been a long time since I taught preschool and I am sure the assessments given today are different than what I gave.

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

We have some Illinois specific ones. Though you can look at the CAP forms on www.ecechicago.org I believe.

We also sometimes do creative curriculum.

We use the ESI-R/ESI-K screener.

We also use the Carolina Curriculum and DTKR-II (Developmental Tasks for Kinderdarten Readiness for our ECSE kids).

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

We're being trained Friday on a standardized assessment that we will be administering 3x a year - October, January and May. When I find out more details, I'll let you know.
    Kim

5. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Aug 15, 2006

HELP (Hawaiian Early Learning Profile) is another. CA is implementing "Desired Results" this lets you know where the child is then monitors their achievement to the next step. It also takes into account emergent skills (Is this the one you're doing Kim?) However, while it shows what skills the child masters & what are the subsequent "next steps" it does not give you developmental range. For instance if child is babbling & the next step is vowel sounds it will not tell you the ages this compares to. Their reasoning is that the range is so broad. But sometimes if intervention is needed you do need those. So "DR" is actually an accountability tool for the State. That's why there are 3 report periods, & the 1st Oct so you can get to know your students well. Also, they developed the assessment first & will later do "standards" for prek. The Carolina (mentioned above) is also one of the better ones.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

Work Sampling is one I've used (Illinois has our own version bsed on our Early Learning Standards, but it uses the same principles)

Creative Curriculum and High Scope both have assessment tools as part of the curriculum... I know CC is more of a checklist from observation than an actual assesment... but it tells you what you need to know!

Transdisciplinary Play-Based Assessment is another one I used last year... again, observational, but based on a LOT of normative data.

7. mrod

mrod Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I use the Creative Curriculum Develomental Continuum for Ages 3-5. It's a great assessment tool. I also have porfoloios for each of my children and write daily anecdotals.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

We use the ESI and the PKBS as screens, and work sampling is our main assessment tool. I actually like work sampling very much, but it is alot of work. But I guess any good assessment is. I also use some others that are not required, and alphabet checklist, and Dibels.

9. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had an interview for an Early Childhood Liaison position on Tuesday and I thought they might ask me about assessments, but that subject was never brought up. It would be a one year grant funded position. I don't even know if I would want the job if I would get it.

10. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Chicagoturtle,
    I teach HeadStart in Southern California..I am not familiar with ESI-R/ESI_K screener.
    Thanks