Assessments in preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Apr 3, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Apr 3, 2010

As many of you know I will teaching preschool next year. It has been awhile since I have taught preschool. I am starting to get things in order for next year. I am making my supply list and I am going to observe in a preschool class before the end of the year.

What I am the most worried about is doing and keeping up with assessments? I will only have 10 students. I was wondering if you can share what you do and any advice for organization? Any advice you could give me would be great.

Do you keep portfolios? If so what kind of things do you use?

Thanks for all your help.

3. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

It depends on the kind of center you work for, but this is what I do:

-At the beginning of the year, set aside portfolio space for each child. I've used indvidiual 2" binders for small classes, or files in a filing case for bigger ones. Whatever you use, put them in a space that will help you remember them, but at the same time, does not construct your every day activities. As the children do work, choose the best pieces to put in these portfolios and send the rest home.

Make sure to check them periodically because what you'll notice is that some kids' fill up quicker than others.

Try to add photographs or survey responses to these as well... for example, in my class, we have a "weekly survey" which is a question I ask each child individually and write down their answers, then post them for the parents to see. Then, just like the work, I choose the cutest/cleverest/silliest answers to add to portfolios.

Example from this week: "Where does the Easter Bunny get his eggs?" A child's response: "Santa Claus". That's something cherishable the child will probably love to see 20 years from now, and thus, goes in the portfolio.

In early March, go through the portfolios and "spruce" them up a bit... make sure nothing's torn, or that all of them are even, things like that. This will help you see if anyone's portfolio is a little thin, and you still have a few months to "fatten" it up a bit without being too obvious. You can also put things in special order, or add embellishments if you're the creative type, or anything else.

Finally, during the last month of school, I go through them one more time for any last minute changes. Then I write a personal letter to each child wishing them well in their future and put it at the beginning of the portfolio, ideally with a picture of me and the student attached to it. This is a nice touch because it helps the child remember you through the years, and it makes you look good too :) Then when it's all done, I present the portfolios to the families at graduation, and encourage parents to look through them with their children.

Hope that helps! Good luck!