Assessment: How often?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lara_Alba, May 29, 2008.

1. Lara_Alba

Lara_Alba New Member

May 29, 2008

Hi everyone!
    I would like to know how often you consider may a teacher assess their students.
    I'll be waiting for your answers!
    Tanks in advance!;)

3. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 29, 2008

Assessments should be done on a daily basis, whether it is just an informal one or formal one. The assessments drive your instruction.

4. Tolentine Grad

Tolentine Grad Rookie

May 29, 2008

I agree. The more you assess the better. You will be comfortable gauging where your kids are before a test if you continuously assess. Whether it be simple questioning by you during a lesson, or a quiz, or how well they did on HW assignments (w/o cheating), you need to always be aware where your kids are. Otherwise, you may be shocked by their subsequent low test scores.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 29, 2008

I think that assessment happens almost every single second, minute, etc. when a teacher is interacting with a student. Simply assessing by observation is like a built in "drive" for teachers.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 29, 2008

I agree with the other posters- I am always doing informal assessments and jotting down notes/details during discussions, activities, etc. I do more formal assessments as needed, such as a weekly spelling test, end of the unit assessments in math, science and social studies, and I try to do at least one running record every marking period for each student.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

We have trimester assessments, monthly assessments and weekly assessments. The trimester assessments are cumulative and monthly assessments are used to track progress like a writing sample. Informal assessments are part of my daily routine.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2008

Assessment is a multi-faceted, on-going process. Daily....