Assessing "Think Prints" (Post-Its) in Reading Workshop

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ImMissM, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ImMissM

ImMissM Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

I've been working with my fifth graders on the book Hatchet in literature circles during Reading Workshop. We've been following Strategies that Work by Stephanie Harvey for our comprehension strategies and "think print" work. I'm having a time assessing how they are doing besides just listening in on their conversations. I don't like quizes on books because I just don't feel simply recalling details shows true understanding. Has anyone had any experience with using and assessing "think prints" (post its)? If so what have you done?

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

Oct 24, 2007

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about or not, but my kids used post-its in reading workshop with the book Maniac Magee. They wrote predictions on them as we read. After they had made 3 predictions, we went back to see if our predictions came true. I had the students fill out a prediction wheel. Basically, they had to write the prediction, write if it came true, and write the clues from the story that support their prediction. They also had to write what actually happened if the prediction didn't come true. They could abandon or revise predictions based on new information. To assess, I just looked over the prediction wheel. I didn't take a grade on it though- just used it to see if they were getting the concept or not. Then, on a quiz, I asked them to write new predictions based on what they had read. Like I said, I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "Think Prints," but I hope I was of some help! :)

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Oct 24, 2007

Oh, and they were supposed to keep the post-its on the page where the prediction was made. I discovered later that most of them didn't do that. :(

5. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

No matter how much I model using post its when reading, only a small amount of them do it unless I "force" it. So, no help here. Sorry.