Assessing students

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Dalrose, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Hi,
    I will be teaching first grade and I want to know how you assess your students. Do I do it individually, in a group, whole class? Is there a worksheet with certain things that they should know. I really need to know how to assess them to see what level they are in. Thanks for any help.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2006

Assessments take many forms and is ONGOING. I assess learning on an ongoing basis using a variety of tools and techniques. Assessment tools that I utilize include rubrics and self-assessment sheets, anecdotal record keeping, sound recordings of kids reading, ‘tests’, portfolios (student notebooks, unit packs, and folders) and KWL charts. Student understanding is also monitored during cooperative group activities, projects, and presentations. This variety of tools and techniques allows me a multi-layered view of my students’ learning, growth, and development.

Do I do it individually, in a group, whole class was your question- I guess the answer could be all three....There may be a grade-level beginning of year assessment checklist that your colleagues can share with you. Some things you will want to do one on one, other things you could give to the whole group (consider setting up privacy folders so kids don't look at each other's papers!!)

4. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Aug 25, 2006

I would not assess a student in a group. It is very hard to figure out how much work each person put in and so it goes against the whole reason for assessing your students.

Now, if you want to assess a student in a group setting you could have them do something as a group and then individually go over something else that pertained to that group.

For instance, I like to use a differntiation activity where 4 students work on a project. Then those 4 students all join different groups and teach the other groups how to do it. Each student has to know it to teach it but you are doing it in a group setting.

My district, will not let me do this which kinda of makes me mad but they do have a great record as far as SAT scores, TAKS scores, and critical thinking abilities of their students so I guess I cannot say too much about that.