Assessing reading

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 25, 2002

I know that there have been threads on this before..but ...I teach first grade in a Catholic school and have no means of assessing reading! Going through college I was taught to do DRA's ....but this school does not do them...I have childrne who can not read well, and was wondering how to give them a grade on their report card?! any ways that I could do a DRA w/o the kit??

3. 3rdgradeteacher

3rdgradeteacher Rookie

Nov 25, 2002

You can use any text and do a running record, and then ask them to retell the story to check for comprehension. There is a website called Lexile.com that has hundreds of books leveled- they use a strange way of leveling, but am pretty sure they have an explanation of what the level means. Anyway, that would give you some "standardized" levels that you can use. Most of the books are common books you can find in the library. Hope that helps.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 26, 2002

You can get a curriculum guide from your local public school system which lists what is expected at each grade level for each subject, if your own school diesn't have one. (They should). Compare what each child can do to what is expected at that grade level, and you will have your grtade level report.

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 26, 2002

Isn't it interesting how private schools have to look to public schools for some things? This is NOT intended as a bashing of private schools, but I wish parents knew that there is a point to standardized testing and they are not always doing their kids a favor by avoiding that whole scene in private school. How are the needs of special ed kids met when there is no way to identify them? As private schools continue to receive more public funding, I look for the government to enforce some changes... It IS *no* child left behind, right?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 26, 2002

I know exaclty what you mean..it is my first year teaching, and I am in a private school, I love the school, they do great things, but there is a lot I feel that these kids miss out on! There just is not a lot of money ..and its hard to do certian things (assess reading!) Its funny that parents will often compair what we are doing to the local public school, some of my co-workers can not stand that...but I personally (as a teacher) am interested in finding out what the local schools are doing....I feel that my children should be given the same opportunites, and with or without the money....I am doing my best to see that it happens...
    As far as special serives, each child is entited to whatever services they need, people from that childs local district will come in assess them...if they are required the services, they are (as tax payers) intiteld to be pulled out (of the school) to go to the public school for there reading, resouce etc... it stinks, they do pay state tax..so they are able to get what they need....as for now...i make do w what I have!! :)

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Nov 26, 2002

I reiterate 3rdgradeteacher's advice... I did the DRA last year about once per month, but did most of my daily/weekly/ongoing assessment with running records and listening to them read. There are several sources on the Internet for leveling books, so my suggestion would be to try to level the books you have in your room so you can use those to keep track.

Another source for leveling books is:
    Matching Books to Readers: Using Leveled Books in Guided Reading, K-3
    by Gay Su Pinnell, Irene C. Fountas