Assessing paricipation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cindy lou, Sep 6, 2006.

1. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

We have a new principal this year who is requiring that we include class participation in our grading. My previous principal discouraged us from including participation because it is difficult to back up our grades with concrete documentation. How do you assess class participation? Do you use a rubric? (if so, please post :) ) How often do you document? (I am picturing miles and miles of paper work every day:( )

Thanks for your help.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 6, 2006

maybe a tally chart, if you need concrete numbers... put all the kids down the side of the paper, or do 2 columns... then just make tally marks

Or, I had teachers who simply did that coming to class prepared and being willing to answer questions counted as participation... so they only needed to make off when it DIDN'T happen... so for instance, everyone starts off with 50 points, and gets 2 points deducted for _________ (not coming on time, not having materials, being unwilling to answer questions, whatever you're counting as non-participation)

4. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 6, 2006

Use a copy of your seating chart, and every time the student participates, make a tally mark. One chart a day should do. Just stamp it with a date stamp! Perhaps you could give them a notebook and every day have them write down one question about something they didn't understand and count that as participation?
    Another thing you can do is ask some questions and give two possible answers - ie Do snakes lay eggs? Put your thumb up for yes, down for no. Ok everyone, show your thumbs! This way, everyone is participating.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

My daughter has a teacher who gives out pink points (check marks with a pink marker) for participating...students get a new chart each week and she goes by and marks the students chart as they are participating in class. Usually participating involves asking questions or staying on task.

On Friday she collects the charts. Students with 20 checks get "no homework" for the weekend. She tries to get every student the opporunity to "max" out the pink points.

But, she also penalizes for "disruptive behavior" getting a pink point marked off with a black marker. The charts are kept in the students' folders for parents to see how their child is participating/not participating in class.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2006

We don't factor in participation into our subject marks for report cards, but it is one of the learning skills we report on separately (students receive an E-excellent, G-good, S-satisfactory, N-needs improvement). I always explain to my students that participation includes many different things--on-task behaviour, respectful participation in class discussions, asking and answering questions, listening to others, etc. I track on a tally sheet to record various on-task and off-task behaviours.