Assessing kindergarteners

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 2love2teach, Nov 13, 2006.

1. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Nov 13, 2006

I am having a hard time assessing the kids. Report cards are approaching and I dont know what I will tell the parents about their childs process. Also if my principal asked for my grade book, I would be in big trouble. What are your strategies?:eek:

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

Letter/Sound recognition
    Writing uppercase/lowercase letters
    #recognition to 30
    Writing #'s to 30
    Word Wall word recognition
    Writing First and Last name
    Colors
    Shapes
    Name/phone number/address/birthdate
    Counting to 130 by 1's
    Counting by 10's and 5's
    (there are more, but can't remember all right now)
    I don't keep "grades", just quarterly assessments. PM me if you would be interested in me sending you copies of some of the assessment sheets I use with my kinders.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

Forgot to mention, I do quarterly assessments with these, and so I can show progress throughout the year. It is amazing to see!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

I make an assessment packet for each kid. I test on what kinderkids mentioned above. I find that it makes it easier if you have a pack for each kid, so that when you work on their report card, it's all in one spot. Also, if you want to show parents their assessment, it's ready to go. Sometimes, parents want to see proof as to why you gave them a particular score on their report card. As I test, the first time I highlight all their correct answers in yellow. Then orange, then green, then blue (if I test four times, this year we're on trimester so it's only three times, but you get the point.)
    I also don't keep a gradebook as I don't assign grades in kinder. What I do keep track of are their monthly writing assessments that I give and I keep a homework log. Good luck. I'm at the end of my first report card period and it's a tough period. I feel like I do so many assessments on my poor kids and not enough one on one teaching times!!

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

Oh yes Peachyness.........thanks for the reminder and the great tip! I do the packets too! It makes it so much easier. I put the entire years together before school starts and all I have to do is pull each assessment period. For writing, I do my assessments with their journal writing samples. We use six trait at my school.

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 14, 2006

I too keep a portfolio with quarterly assessments.

I just finished 2nd quarter yesterday and technically according to our district guidelines all of my students are ready to go to first! Woo hoo! Time to really get this train rolling!

The assessments we do are letter sound / id, phonemic awareness, concepts of print. I also do a math assessment.

Kelly :)

8. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Nov 14, 2006

Yes I would appreciate that. Thank You

9. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 14, 2006

In our district, we've got a state standards based report card. Our "K" assessments test the items listed on the report card. We have 3 year-long spreadsheets testing 12-18 items in Language Arts, Writing, and Math. Each trimester I return to the spreadsheet and test the kids, hoping to check off more tasks accomplished.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 14, 2006

I believe all of California uses standards-based report cards. We know what will be required, so we gear for assessments that way. We also make up the packets (Lang Arts/Math) for each student and use a student checklist to record scores. Or, if like this week, conferences arrive before we get everything finished, we just use the packets to record on the report cards. It is a frustrating, time-consuming thing to be doing three times a year. PLUS, our district requires DPAs (District Progress Assessments) that assess the exact same standards. Between the two, we wind up doing these major assessments five times a year. (Fortunately, SOME of the DPA assessments can be transferred from those we do at report card time.) We are in conference week right now, and boy, am I ready for Thanksgiving!

11. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 14, 2006

srh-that's pretty much what we do. The only difference is we have a spreadsheet for Lang. Arts, with the class list on it. Same for Math, and Writing. You were able to describe it better than I did. Thanks!

12. sue313

sue313 New Member

Nov 16, 2006

Negative Feedback in Kdg?

My son is in Kindergarten (I am also studying to become a K teacher) and has been having some trouble lately. He has difficuly forming letters & numbers, which we've been working on at home. it is all new to him.He excels with all of his other work. But, he has been having frequent behavior problems. His teacher will often put frown faces on his letter or number papers when he has not formed the letters and numbers correctly. I think he is acting out at school because he is beginning to feel discouraged with his work. He sees the frowns as evidence he 'is not good' at his schoolwork. I have a meeting with her today to discuss it.He is very sensitive and takes things to heart, even if they are unintentional. I have always tried to use positive reinforcement with him and his siblings (I have 4) and it works, IMO, much better than using anything negative. Is is the norm for K teachers to give negative feedback to children this young? Feel free to e-mail me (sue31371@aol.com) as I may not find my way back here. Thanks!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

If students don't give me the result or answer that I'm looking for, I never give negative feedback. Also, Writing numbers and alphabet letters are hard, and kids may conintue to write them backwards all the way through second grade, so I would never give negative feedback.I may say,
    1. You're very close (and then give a hint)
    2. Star and Sad don't rhyme, but they do both start with the same sound, so good try.
    3. Keep thinking, I know you'll get it.
    4. Look at my alphabet, do you see something interesting? Yes, your a is backwards. Can you make the a go the other way? Good job.

14. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 16, 2006

On a letter practice pg, I will sometimes circle the best formed letter, give it a star, describe why I think it's the best one. Then I will say, "can you fix these last 3, so they look like the one that's best?" That way, I'm complimenting, but challenging students to look for one to improve upon.

15. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Nov 17, 2006

I never never never write anything negatve on papers. I may say "please practice at home" or "good effort" but never a frowny face!

16. shirl

shirl Rookie

Jan 1, 2007

Would you be able to send me your assessment sheets? I am a new teacher just starting in January, and I am having trouble finding resources.
    Thanks. haleychristina@hotmail.com

17. martinson there

martinson there New Member

Jan 3, 2007

i would like to see a sample of the kindergarten readiness skills

18. debbakins

debbakins New Member

Jan 3, 2007

Would love to have a copy of your assessment sheets. Sounds like you're more organized than I am! Thanks

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2007

20. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

Wow that sounds great... would you happen to be able to post a copy of what the assessment looks like and do you assess individually or as a group??

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2007

Oh goodness! I owe several people apologies! A few of you pm'd me and asked for my assessments! I've lost track of who that was...as I deleted my mailbox!:sorry: SORRY!!!!!:eek: I don't have my assessments on computer, but I will tinker around and try to scan them in and put them on here or ask a moderator to do that, but it won't be until this weekend! It really isn't anything that great, but I am more then happy to share. :)

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2007

My assessments are mainly individual, but some can be done as a whole group...some can only be done one at a time. I work them into seeing me during center time, and it goes quite fast.

23. kinderteach18

kinderteach18 New Member

Jul 17, 2009

hi,

i am a new kinder teacher. would you mind sharing your assessments???

kinderteach18

24. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Is this only for pre-k or for kindergarten as well?

25. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I think it will work for my class in the beginning of the year. I teach kinder. You may have to decide based in the children