Assessing and Grading.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 27, 2014

I am feeling a bit bogged down by the fact that I need "x" amount of grades per week in certain subjects. Basically, I am required to have 2 grades per week per subject. :dizzy:

30% Project Based Learning
    40% Test
    40% Classwork

We do not grade homework. Some of this is easy. Weekly spelling test (although I take issue w/ weekly spelling tests), reading comp. and math are usually fine. Where I run into trouble is in Sci/SS.

I feel like I am rushing through teaching (and especially guided discussion and writing extensions) just to "get a grade" in.

Because PBL is a huge chunk of their grade, I want to do it right. I want to allow time for collaboration, research, trial and error, and reflecting. But I am so concerned with not have enough grades in that I am concerned I will be rushing through that as well.

Any tips and/or words of wisdom would be so appreciated! :hugs:

3. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

Two grades/subject a week is a lot. Can you count formative assessment as a grade? You could do observations. Give them a skill to work on in collaboration or discussion and tell students you will be observing/assessing them on the skill. For example, I taught the students discussion skills (asking follow-up questions) and did an observation. I gave a + if I observed the skill and a - if I didn't.

4. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Aug 28, 2014

I am in the same boat. I knew grades was going to be stressful when I decided to move up from kinder.

I'm not even sure if a percentage of the grades have to be a certain type of assignment, like Starista posted. I need to find out if what jojo808 is acceptable (giving + and -).

:confused::help:

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 28, 2014

For Science, look into something called "Formative Assessment techniques" - most will say never to grade FA assignments, but I have found value in putting a grade to them (especially for those students who will do a better job if they know a few points are going towards their trimester grade with this).

I also will do a quick 3-5 question Do Now at the start of my class that can be based on what we did in class the day before or be based on what their homework was for a few points too.

I also love using journal reflection entries- it allows students some time to think about what we did and get it down on paper, plus it helps me understand if they really understood what they did and why. Those I usually grade as 20 to 30 points.