Assemblies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Oregon Sub Girl, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

Do you guys ever get those assemblies that are so pointless, you wish you had that teaching time back? How do they choose the assemblies at your school? I've always wondered that because sometimes we get the oddest assemblies. But, I guess we've also had some really great ones too.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 18, 2008

I just realized that we have had very few assemblies this year. We had a change over in admin. this year; new Prin, new AP and new super. Maybe this has something to do with not having so many this year. I just checked my old plan book from last year - by this time last year we had 7 different assemblies. This year we have had 2 YEAH :)

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Feb 18, 2008

We also have few assemblies. We have had some local artists come in and set up a show in the gym for our kids...a conflict resolution assembly...an alternative energy source expo...a reality store. I am planning an assembly on electricity and also a local author's book read. When teachers at our school come across something we think would be beneficial, we write up a proposal to our principal and he gives us the ok. If it does not relate to our core content he usually gives the veto. Right before testing we usually have a motivational speaker. This year we are trying something new. I teach in a low socioeconomic area (Eastern KY) so every Friday morning we stay in the gym instead of going to homeroom. A different teacher speaks for 5 to 10 minutes about obstacles in their life that they have overcome. It has really inspired some children and it shows them we are all human.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2008

Most of the assemblies that have been in the schools I've worked in have always had a purpose, and we havne't had that many.

6. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Feb 21, 2008

I love this idea!! I also teach in a low SES area and the kids are so down on themselves. But they also think that no one has had it as rough as them and no one understands. Do the kids seem to respond well to this?

7. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 22, 2008

Sometimes the Standardized Test pep talks have me literally falling asleep on my feet. I hope no kids notice.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2008

We have an assembly once per month. While I really love that these assemblies do work to build school spirit and camaraderie, I think they could usually be pared way down to avoid the random, useless stuff. Like, they do these weird food competitions at each one to see which kid can drink a milkshake the fastest or eat the most chicken wings or something. The problems are that a) most of the time, the students participating in these events are Student Council kids and not part of the student body at large so lots of those other kids feel left out, b) all we do in the audience is watch 4 people huddled over a table for 3 minutes. We have no idea what's going on, and it's very boring. It's usually during those competitions that behavior problems arise in the bleachers.

Also, we have horrible acoustics in the gym, and the kids who make the announcements have such high-pitched voices anyway that it is literally impossible to hear what is being said, and actually fairly painful. There needs to be some serious revamping of the sound system, as well as announcers who have strong, deep voices and don't shout into the headset microphones. I always have a headache when I leave an assembly.