Aspiring Teacher with Questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by swilkins2, Aug 10, 2010.

1. swilkins2

swilkins2 New Member

Aug 10, 2010

I'm looking in to starting an ACP and I have to take the content exam before I can be accepted. I've been studying for the 4-8 Generalist (btw, I'm in Texas) and I was wondering if schools prefer you to be certified in the seperate subjects instead. Like I wonder if they will see me as a Jack of all trades, master of none if I have the generalist. I was a history and political science major in college and want to teach social studies but I figured the generalist would make me more marketable. BUt I figure I could do science as a seperate subject because I hear that's in demand. Anyway, I've kinda rambled. Any input is appreciated.

- Schöne

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

Hi and welcome.

If you can manage Chemistry &/or Physics (or math, but you didn't mention that :) ), they'll make you MUCH more marketable.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

You need the Generalist anyway if you want to teach 4-6 grade. If you take single subject social studies 4-8, you will not be considered highly qualified to teach social studies in 4-6 grade. (They just changed the law for this). You will only be considered highly qualified to teach 7-8 grade.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

That's what I was going to say. You *have* to have the Generalist.

6. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 10, 2010

In my district, the generalist may get you the job but in order to receive the math or science stipend, or teach summer school you must take and pass the specific content area TeXES or have 24 college hours in said content area.