Asking off from your current job for a teaching interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Nov 1, 2009.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

What do you all do when you get called for a teaching interview but you already have another job that you need to ask off for? Currently, I am substitute teaching while looking for a full time teaching position. However, I usually cannot get subbing 5 days a week (usually around 3) and I really need to find a second job so that I can have enough money to pay the bills. However, I'm concerned about what I will do when I get called for a teaching interview. I've already been called for 3 teaching interviews during the middle of the school year and a lot of them have been pretty last minute, giving me only a day or 2 in advance notice. Is it hard for you to ask for the day off with your current employer? I don't want to get fired for something like this, but I really need a second job. Also, I know that in a couple months I will probably be going on a bunch of interviews for the 2010-2011 school year.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

So since you're a sub, just explain to the person who does the calling that you are in the process of looking for part time jobs. I'm sure they will understand.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm planning on getting a second job in addition to subbing to have in the meantime until i get a full time teaching position. However, I am concerned about accepting a job that isn't so flexible as subbing because I am worried I won't be able to get them time off for a teaching interview. I know that while being a sub it won't be a problem if I get called for an interview. Right now I am only subbing and it has been no problem not subbing on days that I've interviewed since subbing is so flexible. However, I am currently applying for either a second job (such as an office job, retail job, waitressing, etc.) or a different full time job to have in the mean time (such as a full time pre-school teacher, full time day care job, full time office job, etc.) since I am not making enough money subbing. I am concerned though about asking for time off for a different job than that is not so flexible and I was wondering what everyone else does who is interviewing but holds an "in the mean time" job.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

OOOh, I see what you are saying.

Well then, that is a little bit different. I would always be honest with your new employer if you are called for an interview. Actually, you might want to let them know a bit in advance that you are in the process of seeking a teaching position. Do what you can to not make them annoyed at you when you need to take some time off! Good luck! I hope others can chime in with good advice!!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

This happened to me a few times over the summer and I just explained that I had an interview and they either had me come in earlier or had someone switch shifts with me. The important thing is to let them know as soon as possible. It also helps if your flexible when they need it (like take a shift a last notice when someone calls in or stay late), so that they're more understanding.

Hopefully you can find someplace that knows that your goal is to become a teacher and to be flexible with you. Good luck!

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

A lot of employer's are pretty understanding about people needing second jobs and that people need that time for interviews. The last district I subbed for was pretty understanding. You also have to be willing to take a risk for a job you think could be "the one". I was working a steady office-temp job in Cali, but it barely paid for gas. I got the call for the job I have now in Arizona and I took a chance and went. I was worried that they wouldn't take me back if I didn't get the job, but it was worth it. Just communicate with your current employer about your concerns and if they are understanding you should be ok. Best of luck to you!