Asking Interviewer about Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by matteo49, Jul 17, 2009.

1. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

So I know that this seems like a terrible faux pas but I honestly want to learn how to improve my odds on getting a job, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

These are the things that I have going for me:
    • I have great letters of recommendation.
    • I have an incredibly excellent and strong education background in Education and my Subject matter.
    • I have experience teaching 2 years at a University, 1 full year of student teaching at a high school, and over 200 other hours of time spent in the schools for practica in Elem, Middle, and High.
    • I get good reviews from my supervisors and my students.
    • I use technology all over the place in the classroom.
    • I have certification and am NCLB HQ.

The only thing I can think of that I don't have is paid teaching experience in the high schools. Student teaching was un-paid (even though I did a LOT of work) and my only paid teaching was at the University level. What else could they want? I get along with everyone. I don't bite. Seriously, what's up?

I'm thinking about calling some of the people who have interviewed me and ask them, "so, why didn't you hire me? I would like to know so I can improve myself." How bad would that be? lol...

3. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I've heard asking an interviewer for feedback is a great idea. I don't think it could ever hurt anything, but it may give you just the information you're looking for!

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I imagine with all the budget woes schools are compressing the non-core content. I would guess that many schools are offering Spanish-only as foreign language options.

I hope you find something soon!

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

When I was looking, I felt the same way. After an interview where I felt comfortable with the principal (but I didn't get the job) I called him and asked him what else I could have done to get the position. He gave me some constructive criticism, pretty minor stuff really, but said that when it came down to me and the person he hired, it was that minor stuff that made the difference. I took what he said to heart and was hired after my next interview. All that to say....call! They already haven't hired you, so what can it hurt?

6. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I'd ask the interviewers. I have 3 of the 4 principals that interviewed me help find me a job. They of course all hired from within. Good luck to you- it's a vicious world. I'm almost thinking of opening up my own preschool bc I'm tired of searching!