Asking for letter of recommendation after non-renewal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EGrace, Jun 1, 2018.

1. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

After being non-renewed this year, along with half the grade level, and getting over the shock of it all, I finally was able to reach out to the union. I have strong evaluations and worked incredibly hard, did everything that was expected and never received negative feedback. Their suggestion was to immediately e-mail the principal and ask for a positive letter of recommendation and highlight all the things I did while there. I am having a really hard time of coming up with how to start this e-mail. Any suggestions?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 1, 2018

I would most definitely get that LOR from your P. If you have excellent evaluations and zero negative feedback, then I would ask the P to include that in your letter and to also state that the staff was being restructured and your department was condensed.

4. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

This was a 4th grade teaching position. I don't think the grade is actually being condensed, but do you think I can still ask that?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 1, 2018

Why else would they eliminate half the department if they weren’t looking to increase class sizes? For example, if the average number of students per class is 10 and you have two teachers to teach multiple sections, then you could save a lot of money by downsizing the number of staff and doubling the class size from 10 to 20, which is still very manageable.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  6. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

I honestly don't know. But we all had 20 students per class, so I don't know if that makes sense. But I still will say that.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 1, 2018

I would probably reach out and try to see if I could find the reason for the non-renewal before trying to ask for the letter.

8. mongo460

mongo460 New Member

Jun 3, 2018

I would reach out to ask about the reason for non-renewal, and then I would ask for a positive reference based on the successful things you did for the school and district. I have had friends in this situation, and they always received strong letters based on their positive evaluations.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 4, 2018

They probably won't tell you the real reason(s) for non-renewal. If you get strong LORs, the reason(s) won't really matter.

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 4, 2018

Just so you know, most schools will call your last principal for recommendation. At my last job, I handed them three glowing recommendation letters, and they still called my last principal.

bella84, otterpop and Backroads like this.
  11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 4, 2018

They called mine. It's part of their due diligence.

Backroads likes this.