Asking for leave shortly after accepting a contract?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TravelingSol, Aug 10, 2011.

1. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I just accepted my very first teaching position today. I am getting married in October and I am very nervous about asking for a few days off to travel to my wedding, which is out of state. Any advice? I want to be considerate and make my supervisors aware ASAP but don't want to seem like I'm asking for time off as soon as I start (even though that's what I'd be doing!) so I am torn. :help:

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 10, 2011

In this day and age, every teacher, especially a new teacher has a target on their backs. That's the way I see it. I would push my wedding back to the summer or do it locally over the weekend.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

I'd go ahead and ask. Do you have a plan for if they say no?

5. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

My plan would have to be to lose thousands of dollars. Unfortunately with the wedding just two months away moving the date is not an option. Save-the-dates have been mailed, people have booked hotel rooms, etc. The wedding has been planned for a year now. I am definitely have to ask for the time off, it's just a matter of how and when.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

As soon as possible. I think they would have to be ogres to hold a couple of days for your wedding against you.

Of course, you don't have the luxury of having already proven your work ethic before requesting the time, but by October, hopefully you have. Leaving great plans, prearranging for a great sub, and ensuring as much continuity for the kids as possible will go a long way towards lowering any raised eye brows.

Just don't get sick! My first month, I was out with fevers and bronchitis for a week. I was mortified and panicked, especially because I never get colds etc. I know that week didn't look good, but also because of swine flu, nobody with a fever was supposed to come to school.

7. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I only intend on asking for 3-4 days off (Thursday-Tuesday) and I could shorten it, if possible but we have to arrive in time to get our marriage license so I need at least one business day up there. The wedding is on a Sunday.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I was called for an interview at 9am this morning, interviewed at 2:30 and was offered the job just before 4pm. Everyone on the interview panel was extremely friendly and seemed genuinely nice. I am hoping that even when I ask for the time that they still remember what they saw in the interview and that they will be understanding :-\ I'm so nervous!! Ugh...

8. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I didn't mean to sound conceded in the last post, but I just hope that they don't think I'm less valuable than they thought by asking for a few days off...

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

I think the fact that you are getting married is a legitimate reason to take a few days off - my only frustration as an administrator would be you not mentioning that up front, but every person - whether a new teacher or 20 years on staff - has things that come up that are major life events such as marriage that just have to be dealt with. I think it would be a much different story if you were asking for time off for a vacation you had planned, or something like that. Marriage I see as different.

That being said, 3-4 days off does seem like a lot from an outside perspective, considering most people get married on a Saturday. I might see if you couldn't whittle that down to 2 days - say Thursday & Friday off - or even just Friday?

10. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

The biggest part of my dilemma is that my wedding is in New York. I live in Texas, so we were planning to fly up Thursday, get our marriage license Friday, wedding on Sunday. I suppose I could try to fly back on Monday. I would be nervous to fly up on the Friday before and not make it to the clerk's office before it closes if the plane gets delayed or something.

Sorry to share my life story. I just feel like I've gotten myself into quite a predicament when I should just be celebrating finally landing a job...

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

I think that makes sense, and they hired you because you were the best candidate. If they're a good team, they'll be happy for you, find a sub for those few days, and be excited to have you as part of their team for years to come. I wouldn't stress about it - you've been hired, it's a big deal that you're getting married, and I'm sure it will all work out. Tell them ASAP so they can make plans and you can get it off your chest, then get excited for the big day, and a great year!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

How many personal days do you get a year? Check your contract or ask (you can definitely use these), the other days you might need to take unpaid.

Don't mention the unpaid up front, see what they are willing to do. If they aren't willing to give you more than the two personal days, ask about taking an extra day unpaid.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Ask for the days as soon as you can...this week if you are in school...you aren't asking for too many days. I'm sure they will be thrilled for you! Congrats on the new job and the upcoming wedding!:love:

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

Just ask about the procedure for taking time off. Explain that you are getting married out of state and give the dates you are requesting off. Is it ideal to take time off during the year? No, but life happens. You can't rearrange your life because you got a teaching job. The wedding was planned long before you knew you were going to have a contract.

15. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 11, 2011

We had a first year teacher this year who needed days off for a friend's wedding. She was the maid-of-honor. It just so happens the days she needed had been closed to subs the year before. (A frustrating, but common occurrence in my district when there are more teachers requesting personal leave than there are available subs.) She went to the principal as soon as she had a contract and he figured it out with no problems. I agree that the teaching world is incredibly competitive at the moment, but I also think that principals (and other teachers) know that young people have lives. Getting married?!?! Hopefully happens one time in your career. You need to enjoy your day without the stress. What would I do? Call and find out how many personal days of leave you are given per year. (In our district we get 5). Armed with that knowledge, go in and talk to your principal. Explain you're getting married on XXX date, flying on these dates and will spend time making sure you are more than prepared for a guest teacher. I honestly don't see this as a huge deal. That being said, I would talk to your principal as soon as possible in case you're in a district that may close dates due to subs not being available.

16. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Okay. Well, first of all thank you everyone for making me feel better! The wedding is October 23, so it's not around a Holiday or anything, and I checked the school and district calendar already and there's is nothing going on (other than a football game) so I am confident that I wouldn't be missing out on anything for my students like testing, etc. The district allows 10 days off per year, 5 personal/sick days and 5 state days, whatever that means. I need to look at the handbook more closely. I guess districts in NYS (where I'm from) spoils teachers- my sister's district allows its employees two days off for their wedding!

I am meeting with the Curriculum Instructor tomorrow and the Principal said she would be in and out all day so I will try to catch her then and make her aware.

Thanks again!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Make an appointment through her secretary.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

I have no idea what state days are (maybe Professional Development??), but you should also be aware if you take 4 of your p/s days, if you get sick, which as a first year teacher it is very likely you will, you will be taking time off without pay.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding :love:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Please don't read anything into this other than idle curiosity.

But, knowing you would be looking for a teaching job, why did you plan an out of state wedding for October? Wouldn't July have been a more logical choice?

Anyway, I agree with the others. Get in to see the Principal today and get it taken care of.

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding and on landing the job!!!

20. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

We both are native New Yorkers and wanted a Fall wedding. July is too hot and sticky! Anyways, many of the districts in NY give you two days off for your wedding that don't "count against" you. The military brought my fiance to Texas so now we have to travel for the wedding.

21. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

I learned today what the difference is and apparently the State of Texas no longer does it. Apparently it was five days of paid sick leave that was funded by the state, but now the district offers five personal days and five days of sick days. It was very confusing!

22. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I can see why you are nervous. But I would definetly ask as soon as possible. I would also ask for the 3-4 days. I say this because last year was my first year and around April I had death in the family and without notice took several days off. My P actually told me to get myself together and take the time with my family.

I believe you will be fine and hopefully they will understand. Perhaps present an alternative if you see they are feeling skeptical. Say I would like to take 3-4 days, but if its a problem I can shorten it some.

Good luck, I'm sure it will work out for you!

23. MrBiology

MrBiology Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Many schools don't care what your reason for requesting off is, as long as you do it as soon as possible. You usually have to just submit something electronically.

Your administrators are more concerned with making sure your class is covered rather than why you are asking for a few days off.

24. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Thank you, everyone! I did meet with the principal yesterday and explained that I was sorry that one of our first conversations was about me asking for time off, but I need a few days off for my wedding. She seemed understanding and explained the procedure and congratulated me. Now I just have my fingers crossed that the leave form will be approved!

25. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

That's great news! Good luck with the rest of the process!

26. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

Congrats!

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

Congrats! I always though a fall wedding would be lovely. My aunt and uncle got married on Halloween! I plan on getting married in the winter. I understand what you mean about July. It's so miserable and is ZERO fun for a wedding!

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I think you'll be fine. I've known teachers who take a lot of days off, and not for any special reason. I don't see why the leave form wouldn't be approved. Teachers get 18 days here, and many teachers take a week off at a time. I'm the type that never takes any days off, but your wedding is definitely a good reason!

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Gee, I didn't think so.

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

I just cannot stand the heat! I've been to a couple of weddings in July and was just so miserable. The one I went to in early October was absolutely my favorite! It was cooler and their pictures turned out gorgeous with the changing leaves.

I do know people who love the heat. Our neighbor thinks it's cold if it's below 80 :lol: That is not me! I think it's hot if it's above 70!

31. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

I would look into your contract immediately. I know that my sick/personal days do not kick in for 60 days so if they have something similar that could impact them giving you off or getting paid leave.

32. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

Sorry, I didn't read all of the posts before commenting. I would still look into whether the days will be paid or unpaid.

33. TravelingSol

TravelingSol Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, I put in the leave form and I will see what happens. I will take them unpaid if need be but I won't broadcast that unless I get the time denied. They do a half a day of paid leave for every 50 days worked. I told them I would be willing to borrow against the time I haven't earned.

34. MrBiology

MrBiology Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Sounds like you've got a good administration staff to work with. Now you can focus on teaching, and on your wedding once the time comes. Congrats! :D

35. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

Aww... I think your administration would be real Scrooges if they gave you a hard time about something like wedding plans that were obviously made far in advance. I am glad it seems to be working out. Good luck!