Asking about openings -- bad manners?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by miss-m, Dec 16, 2014.

1. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 16, 2014

I have been subbing a LOT at one school in my district, and despite the fact that I have the most crazy days at this school, I really really love being there. I love the other teachers, I love the atmosphere of the school, and even though most of the kids end up driving me crazy, almost every class I've subbed for still greets me in the hall when I'm there. I would love to teach at this school, and since I'm there so often, a lot of the teachers recognize me/know me fairly well (the 3rd grade teachers know me pretty well since I've subbed for three of them and was there for one class all last week). Even when I know a day is going to be crazy or awful, I just walk in and feel like I belong at this school.

From listening to conversations in the teachers' lounge, it sounds like there will be a few teachers retiring this year. Would it be bad form to ask if there will be openings, and if so, to ask the principal to consider me for next year? I'm there again tomorrow for the last time before winter break, so quick feedback would be awesome!

3. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Dec 16, 2014

This sounds like maybe it's a tougher or less desirable school? I'm a newer teacher but don't think there is anything wrong with showing interest in any future positions. Good luck!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2014

Absolutely. Talk to the P about leaving your resume for consideration for future openings.

5. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 17, 2014

It probably is considered a "tougher" school -- my parents mentioned to another teacher in the district that I like this school and the other teacher was like, "Wow, that's a hard school" -- but other than a couple bizarre incidents I haven't really felt that haha. It's a very diverse school and it seems to have some range of SES among the kids, but it's not that different from where I student taught.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll try to talk to the Principal if I see her today.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 17, 2014

Go for it! You might not get a complete answer yet, so follow up sometime around mid-March. You're a known commodity, which works in your favor as long as they like your job performance.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 17, 2014

Absolutely mention your interest in being hired. They will appreciate your initiative, I would think.

8. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 17, 2014

Well... didn't see the Principal today. But I asked one of the 3rd grade teachers if there would be openings next year and she sort of laughed and said, "Oh yeah." So here's hoping. One of the 3rd grade teachers just had a baby, and she keeps pushing back her return date, so I think there may be a chance for that position next year (which would be ideal since I LOVE third grade).

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

You should definitely tell your P you're interested in working there. Believe it or not, not every sub wants to be a teacher. Here in California you just need a bachelors, not a teaching credential to sub. While I subbed, I met a lot of subs who had no desire to teach (didn't have credential anyways) they were just subbing as a means of a job, or just to make some money, and some were far from completing their credential program.

When I told teachers I had my credential and I was ready to teach, some treated is as great news and somewhat surprising.
    So def. tell!

10. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 17, 2014

In this district subs are required to be certified teachers so it probably wouldn't help much in that aspect, but it sounds like this school has trouble finding subs that want to come back and maybe they have a higher teacher turnover than I thought so that's more what I'm hoping for. I'm mostly torn because I've applied for another job that I also really want. In any case, nothing will happen until after break now since tomorrow's the last day until January.