Asking about being rehired

Discussion in 'General Education' started by steachers, Mar 15, 2014.

1. steachers

steachers New Member

Mar 15, 2014

I have a contract that runs to June 30th. This is my first year teaching. If it is not renewed I have to find a new job, which I would prefer to start looking early on rather than wait for the summer. I have gotten hints that they plan to bring me back but nothing reliable. How do I approach this with the administration?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

My gut feeling is that I'd talk to your administrator, mention that you absolutely love your school and your position, and that you absolutely hope to return. However, since you haven't received a guarantee yet for 2014-2015, you would like to put out a few resumes and ask for a letter of recommendation, just to cover your bases in case you no longer have a position.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2014

I am bold so I would outright ask. In California there is a date they have to notify certificated staff if their contracts are being renewed. Ask the other teachers if they know it. I think ours was March 15th.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2014

Check your contract...in my area, there is a May 15 deadline by which teachers need to be notified. If you are getting strong feelings that you will be invited back, you should semi-relax...but keep your ears and eyes open. As a non tenured I was always very aware of who was retiring, who was out on maternity leave and might come back, etc. A lot can depend on the budget vote ( if your district still votes on this in April..some in NJ have gone to a November vote), as well as student population fluctuations.