asked to interview out-of-state...is it serious?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by abat_jour, Jul 2, 2014.

1. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

Hi landed an interview for a job I really LIKE/LOVE and I am traveling (10 hrs drive) for an interview. I was told that if you are asked to travel out of state for an interview, they are pretty serious. I am my biggest enemy, due to nerves. Although I am better in person than on phone and we have spoken on the phone.
    Tips, thoughts, experiences with this?

:eek:

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 2, 2014

I've gone on one out-of-state interview (we were getting ready to move from Virginia back to Florida). I drove the 12 hours with my two toddlers for the interview (had my mom drive 3 hours up to watch them) and it was the one interview out of 4 in my teaching career that I didn't get a job offer from. It lasted all of 6 minutes and they didn't really ask me anything! It definitely seemed like a filler interview and I walked out knowing it was a total waste of time.

So it doesn't necessarily mean that it's serious. Everything happens for a reason though, and I ended up at my dream school. Good luck with your interview... Fingers crossed that it's the one!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

When I moved to NC, I went down to interview twice. The first time I had 1 interview and a district job fair. I did not get the job from the interview, but I did get multiple offers from the job fair. At least 10 or so, but I already had a job by the time they offered. The second time down, I went on two interviews back-to-back and landed the second on the spot. I canceled my other 3 interviews and told the other interview that I had a job.

Moving back to MI is a totally different story. But there are thousands of applicants per position in my area. Even rural districts pull 300-500 applicants.

My best advice is to email your resume to all principals in the area and see if you can't interview at more than one school while you are there. I landed 3 NC interviews that way, one of which was the school that hired me and I loved teaching there.

Good luck!

5. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

When I was first looking for jobs, I was applying out of state. My first interview, the principal was running really behind, obviously had not looked at my resume (everything about it said I was from different state) and barely asked me any questions. I was there maybe 20 minutes, but she spent most of the time looking for papers or on the phone with the secretary. It was a COMPLETE waste of my time and money. I went on two more in that particular city, and one was the same (I got to wait for my interview so they could the girl before me "her new classroom," which happened to be the position I was applying for..very nice!) and the other one was the job I eventually got.

Now I'm leaving that job (and going back to the place I'm starting from) and the principal actually had me come in earlier than she anticipated because I was going to be in town visiting family that week- I walked out with that job!

Like most things, I think it just depends. When looking for my first job, I went to several cities, all hours away, and many requiring me to stay in a hotel. Some I knew were serious and I was one of the final candidates, and some I knew I was just a filler. I WISH those would have just given me a phone interview. I never want to be a principal, but if that ever happens I won't ever do that to someone!

Best of luck! I hope it works out for you!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

I interviewed quite a bit in Kentucky. Those interviews were no different than ones I had here. I drove all the way down one time for what turned out to be a 20 minute screening interview. I was also brought down by a district and put up in a hotel over night, then taken on a tour of the city the next day. Never heard a peep afterwards. Very bizarre.

Best of luck!

7. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

wow guys! most of those stories are really bad. I spoke with the principal already and can tell he is a good leader and won't be like the ones shuffling papers and answering calls. He seems awesome actually. I do worry about being a filler interview. It is quite expensive to me to do this, so I hope they are mindful of that. I will try to be positive. I am worried about contacting principals in the area in case they communicate; there aren't any jobs posted for surrounding schools. I initiated contact when I saw the job go up and he emailed me back quickly. I have a lot of good signs, but of course worry.

8. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

abat_jour,

I hope you have good luck there! Just an FYI (maybe it'll help, maybe not!):

-there was one principal I met with who had JUST filled a position. He liked what he saw from me, so HE sent my info to other principals telling them about me and gave them my contact info. Then when a position opened at that school, he called to see if I was still looking. So, if he is a good principal, he'll want good teachers in schools!

-I have ONLY gotten calls for interviews from principals I've sent stuff to. I did just get a call from a principal I sent my info to because a position JUST opened up at her school. She had seen my stuff so I was the first person she called. (I accepted another position though, so I just had to cancel it. Maybe you're looking in that area!)

I've also had schools call, and when they found out I was already coming to town to interview at another school, they worked me in their schedule so I could go to that interview after the one I had already scheduled.

I understand it won't always work like that. As you can see, I've had good experiences, but I've also had some bad! :rolleyes: I will say that this second time that I looked, I was more aggressive. I looked for a job that has WAY less positions available and WAY more applicants than my last search (and my last one, I could see how many people applied to each position- sometimes the number passed 1,000). Last time I was definitely just trying to get a job, so I would take whatever I could get. This time, I was looking for more than just a job.

Sorry this is so long- I hope it was helpful in SOME sort of way!

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

Wow those are some bad stories. At the group interview I did at the charter school I was subbing in their was a guy from TN. I thought wow, he traveled all this way for a charter? Sadly so he had the worst demo (we watched everyone's) because he thought it was with 5th and not 2nd. Plus he was a middle school teacher. I felt really bad, like they set him up to fail. He was all smiles though and thought the whole interview process went good at the end. Little did he or I know they are super picky, if I didn't get the job I'm sure he didn't.

10. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

thanks monkeyrun and bunnie. Every bit helps. I have been told by a few districts I am an impressive candidate. I hope it works out. But at the same time I worry about last minute changes of things I can't control. To the interview I plan to bring an example lesson that goes with one of their standards, an intro letter I would send parents....haven't been on a face-to-face interview yet, only phone.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

My interviews weren't out of state, but one was 9 hours away and the other 6 hours. So it was still quite a drive, for the 9 hours drive I rented a car to make sure I won't have problems in the mountains (my car is old) and rented a hotel room to stay overnight, so it was expensive. I drove up after work one day, and took off for the second day. The interview was awesome, however, I never heard from the principal after that, even though he made it sound like I literally had the job.

The 6 hours interview involved taking one day off, renting a car (still didn't want to take any chances) driving early morning for 6 hours, interview lasted 20 minutes and drove 8 hours back (traffic). But I got the job and I'm still with that school.

I don't think the location of the school relative to you makes any difference about how serious they are. I think to them it shows that you're serious, but they probably assume anyone who applies for the job, wants it.

So my advice is not to overthink it, do your best, and even though you're investing all this time and money, just think reasonably. I also agree with others, if you could get another interview while you're there, that would be even better.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

Good Luck!

I know that I moved 12 hours away for my first teaching job. I traveled 3 times for interviews. All three times though I had multiple interviews. Many I set up with me suggesting the time as that would be a time I would be in the area. I don't think any of the jobs were just for a "filler" interview. I will say though that I probably met with 15 schools in those trips combined, and I got 1 job offer. While I don't think any of those wasted my time (unless I set up the interview) I do think that they still will look at who the best candidate is no matter the travel distance.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

I would honestly probably ask for a Skype interview, but I understand the market is tight and sometimes people feel you have to take what you can get. I think it's too much to ask people to spend all that money to travel for an interview. If it's a last formality to sign a contract, sure…but not for a regular interview. I've been hired over the phone twice. I moved about 1200 miles for my first job. Had they not been willing to work with me and insisted I fly out there for an interview, I honestly probably would have said no.

It wasn't out of state, but I drove about 7 1/2 hours roundtrip for my first interview, only to get there and find out it was for a severe behavior room position. The position was posted as mild/mod. I'm not certified in severe needs and I have NO interest in working in behavior units. I was very upset that they hadn't told me that before I went all the way up there, and they knew where I was from. I learned my lesson though- any time after that when I was interviewing for a sped position I asked them when they called to set up the interview what specifically the position was for.

14. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

guys you are scaring me! but i appreciate your responses I am preparing like mad. I think because the position is a vastly different environment, they want to make sure I like it. I spoke the P about the position quite in depth, so no surprises.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

I interviewed twice out of state. Both time I was offered the position but turned them down because things just didn't seem right at the time. The first time was in a town in northern new mexico. It was not a good fit from the moment we drove into to town. THe town just was not for me and an incident at a local Walmart sent me over the edge knowing it wasn't a place I wanted to my children to grow up in. The second one was also in New Mexico. I did two phone interviews and the principal offered me the job. We couldn't find a house to live in at the time so I had to turn down the job offer.

16. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

I am thinking about NM is my east coast ventures don't pan out. Thanks for sharing.

17. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

ready2learn I sent you a PM regarding SC, my first choice state.

18. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

Sounds great! I just wrote you back!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

This is exactly what I was thinking. Linguist and I live in a big state, so, like her, I traveled far for an instate interview. I traveled 7 hours two separate times to interview with two different schools. I got the second one. The way the job market is in my state, they really don't care how far you're coming - they just assume you want the job and are going to figure out a way to get to the interview, I guess. I hate to sound so flippant, but that seems to be the case.

See, that sounds really good! If you have talked to the P in depth, that is a really good sign. It doesn't sound like a filler or just a really short screening interview.

Bottom line - you are always going to regret not taking chances like this. Maybe it won't pan out, but maybe it WILL. All you can do is try and hope for the best. :)

Best of luck to you!! :thumb:

20. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 3, 2014

I agree- you don't know unless you try! And you don't want to spend months regretting not going. It sounds like the P is serious and is interested!

21. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

I just traveled over 6 hours round trip for an initial interview. The principal seemed apologetic to make me drive so far, but said she got burned in the past from hiring someone without meeting them in person first. It's a great opportunity though so I went for it - the interview went really well, but she had other candidates to interview who were also driving far distances and I haven't heard anything back yet (interview was Monday afternoon) so who knows. Best of luck though!

22. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

I drove 8 hours for an interview once, but I needed a job, and it was what I'd call the 1st serious pursuer, so I drove it. Now that I have a job, when I take another interview I do them by phone or skype.

The thing about out of state interviews is if they are contacting you they are serious about you, because it means that you are equal to someone who lives in the state, equal to someone who has a state license, or they are desperate and they need to find someone.