Asked to be grade level chair...Advice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by america82099, Jul 29, 2011.

1. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

We just found out who our principal is going to be so yesterday I emailed her to ask about when we could get back into our classrooms (we all had to turn in our keys because they were going to install a new security system). In one of her replies, she asked me if I would be interested in being the grade level chair. I am only a second year teacher, but our grade level is made up mostly of new teachers. One, possibly two, teachers with lots of experience, four will be second year teachers, and one other with four years.

Last year the veteran teacher was our chair, but did not like the responsibility, and was very vocal about it. Our grade level was always uninformed, and late with everything. By the end of the year she had just given up and we all had to pick up the slack. It was a tough year of our 8 original teachers only half ended the year, due to resignations, firing, and retirement.

Half of me is excited about the opportunity, because I seem to thrive in leadership positions, but another half is hesitant. I wouldn't want to alienate any of the other teachers. Would it make you uncomfortable?

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 29, 2011

I was asked to be grade chair the second year I was teaching in my district. I asked how could I be since I was an inclusion teacher. My principal said as long as you are teaching the grade level you can be grade chair. I went for it and became one. There were 6 other teachers on my grade level whom taught a lot longer than I did and did not want to do it. So I decided to do it. I have to say it was a lot easier for me to do it since I like things done ahead of time.

So, I would go for it. If you do not like it at the end of the year, do not apply for it again. Give it a shot! :)

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Second year and you are being asked.... Why did she ask you? Was it because she has heard that you are the most responsible or because you were the first person on your team to call her. It really does not matter. What matters is that you are already enthusiastic about it. And that is a good thing!

I can hear the excitement in your voice. If other teachers are not happy about the choice, you can always say that you were asked to do it and you accepted. (End of story) I think that leadership positions early on in a teaching career are a good thing. As long as you are focused, ready for extra meetings, and responsibilities then you should go for it. It is character building to do something like this and the experience is invaluable. GO FOR IT!

5. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Definitely take this role! It will look good on your resume later on, and your P wouldn't have asked you if you weren't capable. There may be one or two who are resentful, but that's life.

6. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 29, 2011

What a fantastic opportunity!

My only advice: make sure you get input from your team before making any decisions that will affect them.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

I was asked to be a level leader my second year as well (that was 18 years ago...lol). At first I felt some resentment from the three veteran teachers, but I did my job, and I did it well. By the 2nd quarter, we were working well. I didn't go in like I was the "boss" of anyone. I went in as though it was my job to coordinate communication between the front office and my team. I shared everything I had. I asked questions. I voiced concerns and worries, and they didn't see me as a threat. It worked out well, and I held that position the rest of the time I was at the school.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I was asked my second year at the school, as well.

Really - everything bandnerd said - except there was no resentment from my team (ok, maybe a bit from one member), most of whom had been teaching much longer than me. Just be ready to pass along info, listen to concerns, and maybe referee a bit :)

Do you know if you'll have any activities to set up during the year?

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I found out that team lead is highly overrated. I'd rather not have the responsibility. But it all depends on your school what it means you will have to do.

10. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Go for it! I was grade level chair my second year, mainly by default because everyone else felt too busy to do it. There was no resentment-they just didn't want the job. I liked it because I always like to be informed and know what is going on far in advance. Now that I'm not a chair, I feel like it takes longer for me to get information.

It sounds like you are willing to take on the role so don't worry about the others. Be happy that your principal chose you, because she easily could have pressured another teacher to take it on if she felt you wouldn't do a good job.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2011

I've been there. BE ORGANIZED. Know where EVERY textbook in your grade level is so no blame comes back on you. Know who the students are in your grade level (or team) and be aware of their data (strengths, areas to improve on). Take good notes at team leader meetings and relay your thoughts back to your team as clearly and concisely as possible. Be supportive and understanding.

Besides that................................... I was grateful when my one year as team leader (2008-2009) ended. It is meant for some and not all.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 30, 2011

The team leader in my school is in charge of giving out important information, setting up deadlines, and in charge of PLC's for the team. The team leader is also a part of the leadership team which helps to run the school smoothly. Team leaders report directly to the P and AP and give reports on how their teams are progressing in terms of scope & sequence, report on the initiatives in place to help struggling students at a grade level, and about how the team is handling classroom management/organization. This position is integral to the overall growth of the school. So, I guess this position looks different in different places. Team leaders in my previous district did not get a stipend. Team leaders in my current district do. And they earn every extra dollar they receive.

13. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I love your answer. That is how I see the postition as well, I see the main responsiblility is keeping the team informed.

14. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

Thanks for the replies. I decided to give it a shot.