Asked back to interview for different grade - Huh?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachin2007, Jun 19, 2007.

1. teachin2007

teachin2007 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Okay, so today I went on my first interview with a school. It was for a fifth grade position, my first choice of grades, they also have a second grade position. Originally, when he called to set up the interview he said he had a 2nd and a 5th grade position and asked which I preferred, I said 5th.

I thought the interview went very well. It lasted 1 1/2 hours with the principal and other 5th grade teacher. She, then, gave me a tour of the school. Before I left the principal gave me a paper that explained what I needed to do to register for a new teacher institute - in case I got the position. He said he would call this afternoon because he doesn't believe in making people wait. I thought I had a good connection with both the principal and the teacher. I had some leave-behinds, a sample class newsletter which they really seemed to like and a one sheet with some information from my student teaching position. I wrote thank you notes in the car and left them with the secretary.

So, I just got a call from the principal this afternoon. He thanked me for coming in and said that they haven't made a decision on the fifth grade position (oh, I knew going into it that he was interviewing 4 people for the 5th grade position and I was the only male) but would like me to come back in so that the 2nd grade teachers can meet me.

So does this mean that I really didn't get the fifth grade position but perhaps I have a shot at the second grade position? Also, my newsletter had the name of the school and grade, do I need to make a new one to reflect the new grade? If I didn't get the fifth grade position, why would they want me for second?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2007

There are lots of possiblitites, but they all sound as though you're in line for 2nd. Good luck!

4. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I had a very similar situation. The principal called me and wanted to interview - they had a 4th and 1st grade position. She asked what I preferred and I told her fourth. I interviewed for the fourth grade position. I met with the principal and one of the fourth grade teachers. She called me the next day and asked me to come in again to meet with the first grade teachers. I got an email later that afternoon and I ended up getting the fourth grade position. The principal told me after I was hired that they knew they wanted me in their school but she just wanted to make sure that I was put in the grade that would benefit the school the most.

Good Luck! It sounds promising - they obviously are interested in you if they are wanting you to come in again.