Ask an old guy anything

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2011

Since I am an old guy and have just so much wisdom :rolleyes: I thought I'd start an answer and advice thread.

Ask an old (or young) guy (or gal) anything.....
    Feel free to ask or answer any question.....

Examples
    Q. What do the words hot, pretty and beautiful mean to a guy?

A. When a guy says that you're hot, he's looking at your body. When he says that you're pretty, he's looking at your face. When he says that you're beautiful, he's looking at your heart.

Q. Why do men spend more time with their cars then with me?

A. A man sees a car as something he can understand, if it is over heating he knows it has to do with the cooling system, if the tire is low it needs air, if the radio does work it is probably fuse,...
    if a woman is hot she might be mad and hopefully not at him, if something is "flat" whatever it is don't say so! If you can't hear her she could be mad, watching a soap opera or needs the Heimlich maneuver, see it is not easy to read women.

Q. Dave why the heck are you doing this?

A. Well, I am a little bored and I know I am just so smart and I have alot of wisdom :rolleyes: :lol:​

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 6, 2011

Alrighty, how about this -

1) What is it like to marry a man (or woman if you are a male) that already has kids? In terms of discipline, do you treat them like they are your own children or are you always kinda stepping lightly and holding back a little or a lot more than you would with a biological (or child that you have raised since near birth) of your own?

Do you worry about what their biological mother will say?

(ie: I would spank my own kids, but even if my boyfriend's daughter did something REALLY bad, I can't imagine spanking her. Even though I've been in her life for two years, it honestly feels on the same level of grabbing a random kid at the grocery store and spanking them.

My dad was the same way with my brother...even though he was in his life since my brother was 6 and loves and treats him like a biological son, he always let my mom lead in the discipline. With me, my Dad often initiated the discipline.

Last week end I put a little more effort into my appearance and my boyfriend's daughter burst out laughing when she saw me and said, "Your lipstick is so ugly! Oh my god! Why did you put that on?! :mad:

If she were my biological daughter or if I had raised her from infancy (by which I mean birth to 2 or 3 years old) I would've handled it a lot differently. Not a spanking, but I wouldn't have been nearly as kind

4. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Dec 6, 2011

okay...here goes

Everyone says that teenage girls have horrible PMS but what about those teenage boys? I have a 16 yr old who I'm fixing to throw to the wolves :mad: If he tells me one more time how I never listen to him (as he's mumbling) and keeps moaning and groaning I'm going to get in the car and leave for a long vacation somewhere without him!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2011

Whether it is documented or not, I KNOW men have PMS of their own. We need a name for it. But they wouldn't be able to deny it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2011

EmCatz...were you spanked as a child?

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 6, 2011

Yup, but it was so rare I can honestly only remember being spanked once by my mother.

I don't remember how old I was, but it must have been 9 or younger because it happened at my old house.

Mom was helping me clean up my room and I kept making nasty, snide remarks under my breath, rolling my eyes at her, sucking my teeth and just being a pain in the neck despite several warnings.

Aside from that my Mom said she used to "pop" my hand when I was very little and she told me she spanked me for something really stupid and dangerous I did when I was 3 (too ashamed and embarassed to admit what it was).

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2011

Ok if you look on it as you are in trusted with the parenting another person's kid(s).
    Being frank works the best just tell her without emotion that she hurt your feelings and you know she did not do it on purpose and then drop it (don't forget it but drop it) how old is she?
    Depending on age (if she can say what she said she is too old to get spanked) I come from the school that says spanking is to get the child's attention, the best time to spank is while they are toddlers wearing diapers.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2011

Yes but it is called "hormones," it causes almost the same problems as with girls, but they get expressed a little different. Remember "this too will pass," as it is with girls you have to try a bunch of approaches to communicate with the "piles of hormones" that we call teenagers.
    Sometime their actions are just to see what reaction they will get out of you.....

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2011

There is no 'best time' for spanking.:2cents: there are better ways to teach children how to behave.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2011

This is a case of we agree to disagree.
    Many things are learned by "pain" (kind of like good
    decisions come from bad choices) How many children have pulled a dog's tail? You can tell some kids not to do it but one dog bite is a great teacher
    or
    tell a kid "that's hot, don't touch," a burned finger is a learning experience, my son as a toddler walked up to my motorcycle and grabbed the tail pipe (he had been told that it was hot many times) he is 28 now and respects hot exhaust systems.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 7, 2011

My 15 yrs old son is a whole lot worse than my daughter ever was! The temper on him. He was soo crabby this afternoon, he bit my head off when I asked him what he was watching on TV.

I'll go on that long vacation with you! :D

13. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Dec 7, 2011

update

on my 16 yr old DS...tonight he's as sweet as can be! His reasoning for his obnoxious behavior yesterday "I have to get up at 5am to be at basketball by 6am and I'm tired!" Welcome to the real world :D

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2011

And thru spanking, kids learn that 'the big person gets to hit', 'people who love me hit me', 'it's ok to hit'...no thanks.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 9, 2011

I received a few spankings as a child, as did my sisters, as did my daughter, as did close friends. These were proper spankings, not given in anger, applied to the behind - padded well for such spankings - and gauged according to age. Spanking age was over by 5 years at the latest. We all have great relationships with our parents, very loving and close. We understand that our parents love us and used the spanking as a way to train us to the right behavior.

The problem with spankings is that people spank in anger, inappropriately for age, use implements, are harsh, and the big one - people spank long past the age of effectiveness. Then a spanking turns into humiliation which is a bad discipline tool.

czacza, I will agree with you however! Because so few people understand what a true spanking is and how to give a spanking, children are being harmed. So I vote for no spanking. It is a pity -some adults are selfish and full of anger and don't know how to communicate other than with brutality. Our children are paying for it.