Ashley Madison

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2015

And you are speaking from your experience as a married person. That's valid. I find it so interesting when those who have never had a long term relationship comment or offer advice on long term relationships in which they have no part or any relative experience. :rolleyes:

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 20, 2015

Bros--just to be completely clear: haven't you said before that you've never been in any sort of relationship???

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2015

THIS! ABSOLUTELY!!

I have been married almost 32 years to a man who shares my values and shows it in every aspect of his life.

Guess we are in the minority...

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 20, 2015

I don't consider my marriage a civil matter. I didn't only marry for a tax break.

Bros, your parents are only married for taxes? That's sad.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 20, 2015

Never been in one, but many of my family members have been and there is little place for religion in modern society. Marriage is purely a civil matter at this point and people can have religious ceremonies if they wish.

Sure, marriage is a thing you can do if both parties care deeply for each other, but it is no longer a requirement in modern society for people to prove their love to each other.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

Well, HAPPY 33rd Anniversary to my husband!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

:clap:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2015

There's never been a REQUIREMENT, bros. You are painting society with a broad brush in quite a rigid and subjective manner.

9. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Aug 21, 2015

I actually agree with bros. I know some people who truly loved each other and did not believe in marriage, but got married for financial reasons. I personally view marriage as an antiquated, male-centered institution that does not mean anything any more. I am also a staunch atheist, so I do not understand the whole sanctity of marriage BS and how a person can make vows to "God."

I also think weddings are a waste of time and money and find it extremely selfish that people would expect their friends and family to attend and give them gifts. Also, if two people love each other so much, why do they need a piece of paper and a big fancy party to prove that? Do they really love each other or does the woman just want to be princess for a day? Are they being pressured by chauvinistic, old-fashioned family members to get married, because it is what they are "supposed" to do? Anybody who is considering getting married and having a wedding should really consider why they are doing what they are doing. :2cents:

Also, while cheating without the other partner knowing is wrong, I do not have a problem with open relationships. I honestly cannot see how humans are supposed to spend 50+ years with just one other person. Monogamy just doesn't seem logical, practical, or interesting.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2015

Congratulations, Missy. 33 years is a real accomplishment. Marriage requires you to care for more than yourself.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2015

If I had said something like what teacherin2014 said, there would be numerous posts in here by now commenting about my way of thinking.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2015

Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that in a large percentage of the country school is back in session. I know that starting in September is becoming a thing of the past.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

I think that what Teacherin2014 said has become a more accepted way of thinking. Many, many of my friends and colleagues feel that way. Also, the views of Teacherin2014 do not seem to come from any place of distrust of humanity, just from a dislike of societal norms for the sake of norms. That poster's point seems to be that people are pretty OK, while Ms.I's viewpoint has frequently been interpreted as much more negative. It's all in how things are phrased.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2015

And my view was simply that if you are expecting a flurry of responses in the middle of the day, well, it's not summer break for a vast number of teachers who kept this forum hopping through the summer. People's private lives are their own business. ;)

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

This.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

I agree with you about people being at work. I think there may be more at play, as well.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

This. :2cents:

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2015

There is little place for religion in modern society? You are making sweeping statements. If I had posted "there is little place for lack of beliefs in a higher power in modern society", I'm sure someone would attack me. I respect your right to believe as you wish. Respect mine as well.

19. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

I don't think Ms. I said what she said to be negative she's just speaking from an honest place, cheating is emotional and hurtful, it destroys people and their families..I've seen it close up.

Its so very damaging for the innocent victims involved, sad for the people who's lives are turned upside down because of choices someone they trusted and loved made; the spouses/significant others, their children, other family members, etc.

I see her statement as more that of someone who just feels innocent people do get hurt and that's a real shame...but thats also real life for some.

I also think the leaking of personal info on any level, FOR ANY REASON is wrong, its down right frightening!!!!!!

Just my 2 pennies:)

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2015

This post has gone from the original discussion to aiming darts at forum members. Posters are reminded that personal attacks, no matter how subtly hidden they are, are not allowed. If you have a problem with a member, or think their posts aren't worth you time, simply put them on ignore and move on. This thread had reached its end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.