ASAP-Science help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teachder, Jul 28, 2007.

1. teachder

teachder Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I need a science lesson on scientific inquiry for third grade. Do the students complete the entire inquiry process? I need a lesson that teachers can do (in order to learn how to do it with kids) in a college classroom... which mean we don't have a lot of stuff- gas,sinks....

Thanks,
    melissa

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

Do you know what kind of topic you need to do this lesson on?

4. teachder

teachder Companion

Jul 28, 2007

something that can relate to issues of poverty and justice. I was thinking environmental lessons can connect scientific inquiry with issues of justice...in that all have a right to clean and healthy water and all have the ability to keep it clean. But how do you make a lesson on that.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Sorry I can't be of help here....I don't have any experiments that can relate to poverty or justice using the scientific inquiry process, AKA the scientific method, AKA hypothesis testing.

I like to start kids off with paper airplane experiments for teaching hypothesis testing. Its easily done with just paper and pencils.

6. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Am I understanding this correctly -- this is for a 3rd grade class? Wow, that's pretty intense. Usually we do much simpler, and very concrete examples to learn sci. method. For instance,, "Do all snack-size bags of M&Ms have the same number?" Then each small group makes a hypothesis, gets a bag to count, etc.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

Hmm... Yeah, that's a pretty big topic. I was thinking something more along the lines of Research Parent and nancyb. You might be able to do something along cleaning water, like constructing a water filter and allowing the students to choose different materials (sand, gravel, cotton balls, etc) to filter dirty water).

Something a little like this...

http://educators.btnep.org/client_files/editor_files/ACTIVITY 3-02 The Ideal Filter.pdf

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

You could do something on acid rain. When i taught 8th grade science i did a lab that had students test the ph of soil that they brought from their backyards using litmus paper and we compared and made a graph. Then i got a map and used the projector to show it to the class. We marked the areas where the students lived to figure out where it was more polluted. Then we discussed why the soil was acidic and the causes it could have on plant life. Next, we did a long term study where we used potting soil, and some soil found at school to see which grew better (using radishes - they grow fast at around 2 weeks). At the end of my unit i did a time for kids article on acid rain and pollution with the class and they had to write a letter to the govenor explaining why there should be more restrictions on carbon dioxide emissions.

Litmus paper is very easy to use and get. You can order it from frey scientific or any science supply warehouse.

Here's a link that might help.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/explore/chemistry.htm#Acids and Bases