As you prep for the upcoming year,

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I'll never forget when a former AP pulled me aside and had me in tears because my room wasn't decorated enough! I just didn't understand!!!! I read a lot of professional literature throughout the summers and believed that the students should help decorate (student work, anchor charts, etc.). I also spent my summers reading, not picking out theme stuff (and I don't have $$ to spend on theme stuff). She told me I wouldn't be teaching much longer if I didn't get my act pulled together. I was devastated.
    That year I was in the running for Teacher of the Year at my school. She has since left and my life has been much better. To this day, I do not have a theme. I do, however, have a color scheme so that everything coordinates isn't too overwhelming or stimulating. =)

2. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

Not exaggerated. I remember a thread maybe two or three months ago about not knowing times tables. Not kids, the teacher. :eek:

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

I just remembered that some principals require a theme. I'm hoping that's why they were stressed about that.

The district and my principal demanded certain things on our walls, desks, and hallway so it was extremely stressful and took my precious time away from lesson planning and grading.

As an example, our bulletin boards had to be in 3-D. :eek: Meaning you can't just use student work or "flat" graphics. You had to actually make the components yourself or bring in something real, such a hula hoops, cereal boxes, etc, and find a way to get it on your bb and match your theme.

So I was at school on the weekends for hours and hours working on a bulletin board because that's what the principal required. I am not crafty at all.
    We would also get written up if things weren't laminated.
    Seems like small stuff to me, but the powers that be sure can make small stuff way more stressful than what it has to be.

4. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 18, 2010

It definitely depends on the school, doesn't it? My school is the exact opposite of the one you mentioned. Maybe I'll get better at the whole room theme/decorating. Right now, my goal is to become more organized and neat. I guess I have a ways to go! :blush:

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Eek. I usually have a theme, but something simple. My admin wants to see content posters, word walls, and LOTS of student work. Fortunately, they're aren't too big on cutesy - I do just a little bit for the kids.

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Hmmm... we don't really do classroom "themes" here. Although I enjoy reading about everyone getting theirs all up and ready I'm pretty sure that I couldn't find the time or energy to put all of it together. We do bulletin boards and what not but generally not around a whole class theme.

Because I'm in a self-contained classroom I have sometimes organized my program for the year around a theme but that is different then what is being talked about here.

Are there other areas that do not "do themes"?

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I can't imagine doing a theme...I'm still getting together the basics for my classroom, and trying to figure out where the heck to find a teacher's edition to the curriculum the school wants me to use. The school and I have spent weeks trying to conjure one up-it's like it doesn't exist! (though I know it does, because I've seen it in other schools.) At this rate, I'll be going over each day's work the morning of... :(

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

That would be me too! Plus this year, seems like I will be teaching a different grade level & Everything pretty much will be new, even the textbook adoption has changed.

So far I have an overview of how to best used the new textbook. I went to a training for it this summer. Unfortunately we have to wait & see how it will fit in the curriculum. It's a great adoption & I love the sequence but we have to go by how the district was the content to be administer.

There's going to be lots of new things & changes this year as to how we teach content.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

I'd never heard of it before I joined here.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

There is a school in our district that requires the teachers to have a theme. The whole school uses the same theme for the year and the theme changes each year. That would drive me crazy. I do have a theme, but i keep mine up for a while. Every year, I may add something new to what I already have but I do not change themes every year.

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

If a teacher is not doing what they are suppose to be doing it will catch up & will be their doom.

I guess I look at these forum differently. I have the freedom to discuss what I am wanting to at the time. It could be anything. There's so many different categories/topics to explore. Some choose to vent, request prayers, discuss decorations/themes, want opinions that are not always about school, share personal tidbits, etc. If there's something I'm not interested, I simply ignore. Why I didn't ignore here, is because lately I am reading a hint of judgement in some threads & like some it concerns me. I look at this site as a refuge of sort.

I don't see it as a big deal if some posters are interested in one thing versus another. We are all adults & if we are not doing what we are suppose to as educators, then you know what it will catch up & we will be held accountable.

I would like to thing that I can feel comfortable & free to post anything so long as I am not violating any of the forum rules.

For me personally (though I haven't taken a survey) is not always going to be about content issues. I am a Bilingual teacher & this site is very limited in that area. I do, however, value all the info I have received here. ONce again I thank all who have previously responded to something I have asked. You have made such a difference that I truly am grateful for the guidance & feedback. This is the main reason I keep coming back here. Though, when school is in session I don't always have time to be here.

Alice, you seem to know your stuff to put it lightly but respectfully, like everyone else I am merely posting my opinion. Feel free to ignore. :)

12. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Perhaps its a country thing as I'm not sure I've ever seen a classroom in Canada with a theme the way I read here. Its an interesting idea and I really like some of the pictures. It does seem a bit odd to me if the theme is not at all tied in to anything that is being done content-wise though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.