As we approach New Years...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

I'm REALLY not one for New Years Resolutions; I've always said that I thought the New Year should begin on Labor Day, since we begin school the next day.

But I picked up a friend's class the week of Thanksgiving. It's been a hectic month, between getting ready for Christmas at home and at school and getting ready for last week's trimester exams, both with my own classes and with Alicia's.

But I really NEED to get the last of the names in her class down in the next few weeks. Of the 35 kids in the class, there are probably about 10 I'm shaky on.

I'll be teaching them until at least February break, probably closer to Easter or June. And I hate that I'm teaching kids in the winter whose names I don't know.

So that's one of the first things I need to tackle with the new year.

How about you?

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

Great post, Alice!
    I make my 5 resolutions in the fall, but halfway through the year, I take stock. I need to build more flipcharts for my Promethean board, and I need to rebuild my morning meetings. Well, not rebuild, but reenergize my meetings. I also need to clean out my file cabinets and purge some of the things I have had for years that I never use!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I'm renewing my commitment to uncovering the connections we all share. Human kind. I've never been a person who can easily see or feel that we are all ONE, but I do believe that notion is key to peace in every aspect of community. So I will stop finding ways to feel different from others and look harder for ways to be connected.

5. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 27, 2010

same as the post above..as a first year teacher each day is like the new year or at least I am always thinking of ways to improve. With that said, my goal is to challenge my students more, also have patience with "troubled students" and lastly build a closer community in the classroom.

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 27, 2010

mine is about connections also, I am such a loner lately, and recently a newer teacher told me that I always look mad .. I am going to try to just be more connected to others, to my friends, my family, my coworkers - especially my daughters. We are ending a 6 month LONG LONG home remodel/addition/renovation and i am hoping that once it is done, i will be able to restore some balance to my life :)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

To make time and appreciate the time I have with family...these two snowed in days of family togetherness have been awesome.
    It's not that we didn't make or appreciate the time before, but we are all so very busy..these holiday snow days have made us slow down a bit and it's been lovely.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2010

I need to eat less cereal.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

I need to cook at least two dinners a week. This is a very big deal for me because I hate to cook, but I can run downstairs and prep in between student contacts, so it's the least I can do.

As for scholastic promises to myself and my students, I'm working hard on improving my curriculum for the units I designed for the department. The assessments, in particular, need work.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2010

Uh, seriously...same here! It's certainly not my New Year's Resolution, especially on the professional front, but I do have an obsession with cereal. I eat it in the morning, for dinner, for supper, and for midnight snacks! I tried oatmeal—little packs with cinanamon—for the first time just this morning and found it quite disgusting, but I'm working on it!

:whistle:

11. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 27, 2010

To remember that my job on earth is to serve others and be helpful/useful. When I keep that at the forefront, I don't resent how busy I am, but rather relish in it.

Oh, and I do eat too much cereal as well. :blush:

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

Like Alice, I need to learn my new students' names.

The month of January is dedicated to getting rid of at least 50% of my possessions and pack my apartment for a move on Feb 1.

As for the year, I am looking to make my year more organized, balanced, care free, and (most of all) productive and efficient in terms of time and choices of activity.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I need to learn students' names too! I continue with my grade two class as I move into a new position in the afternoons teaching French to three different classes... having been at the school since fifth graders were in first grade (some of whom I student-taught) I know many of them... but there's still some I don't know.

My main goal for the new year is to work hard on my French instruction, so that I can both teach these classes French, and get them excited to learn... the teacher I'm taking over for is a lovely woman, who has known for quite some time that she was not cut out for teaching, and has now retired... some of the students haven't had the best experience with French because of this.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 28, 2010

Um...I don't think there is a cereal limit. There are certainly worse things we could be eating too much of! ;)

I need to let the little things go when it comes to dealing with co-workers.

I really need to step up my math instruction, I have several students who are still really struggling with those basic concepts.

I need to use every minute of the day better-we have places where I think too much time is being wasted-that could be another learning experience.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

I agree with the last of Kinder's--using that 'wasted' time better. I really need to improve my transitions, and coming back from break is such a great opportunity for 're-training' the kids.

Also, I need to get farther ahead again with my day-to-day prep. I got behind when I was sick the beginning of November, and never got truly caught up through those two crazy months!

16. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Dec 29, 2010

My main goal is to find a job for fall because I have so many ideas and creative goals that are ready to burst out of my head!

I also want to graduate at the end of January. Maybe that should be my main goal first. ;) Now to finish my very long portfolio so I can make that happen!

Happy New Year Everyone!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Great thread, Alice! I came in in the middle of the year, and still don't even know what some of my sped students look like because they are just inclusion and I don't have them in any classes. So I'm going to try to meet with them over the next few weeks after break to just introduce myself and let them know I'm here for them.