As the year comes to an end, my rant about the worst student this year.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, May 17, 2014.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 17, 2014

I teach two levels of a high school subject. One is an intro course that everyone has to take. The other is more of a choice course because it's harder than the intro course, yet it fulfills the same requirement. Thus, kids who take this course tend to care more about their grades.

So in my intro courses, I have the usual knuckleheads, kids who don't care to be at school, kids who can challenge you behaviorally, etc. As this school year comes to an end, I find myself reflecting upon my students and realize my absolute, most horrible student isn't a behavioral issue student. It's one of my students in the more advance class.

What type of person she is:

-At least 3-4 times this year, she has approached me with her test/quiz and told me I made a mistake. I can understand if I make a mistake once or twice. But on hers? And only hers? Today she pulled one again. At one point, I even started photocopying her paper before handing it back to her. Today, I got sloppy and forgot to.

-At the end of the 1st semester, we did a project where they were responsible for a piece of equipment. I told them I would deduct 20% of their grade if they don't return the equipment to me. Due to some craziness in scheduling and my TA messing up equipment check in, I misunderstood that another group had forgot to turn in their equipment. This was before Christmas break and she stood in front of me as I vented. It was only after Christmas break that she admit it was her group that didn't turn in the equipment. In other words, she stood there and listened to me rant knowing full well what is going on but rather let the other group take the fault.

-She's turned in test/quiz with the correct answer and no work to back it up. It's just fake work, and a copied answer.

-She's tried to ask her classmate to help her cheat.

-She was given an extra credit assignment over Christmas break and told to e-mail it to me. She didn't and when we came back from break, she said she e-mailed me. When I said no, she adamantly insists she did. I gave her another chance to e-mail it to me because there's a sliver of chance that it COULD be true. When she did, it was not what I asked for, plagiarized, and obviously a recycled assignment from another class.

-She once strolled into my room (not the period she's in), stopped me during a lecture, and casually asked me to borrow a pen.

-She would ask me to borrow things (tapes, stapler, pens, pencils, scissors), use them, and then just leave them wherever she pleases.

There's a host of other things she's done that is academically dishonest. I absolutely regret not documenting everything to a T and nailing her for it early on. At this point, with only one week left and me not returning to this school, I really don't want to pick this fight. But reflecting back on this school year, I find her to be the type of student I abhor dealing with, moreso than any behavior problems I had this year.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

Wow! She was really a challenge.

4. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 17, 2014

These made me laugh.

5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 17, 2014

I have had a few of these "high maintenance" types as well. As you implied, I don't mind dealing with the knuckleheads. they are usually more straightforward to deal with and more transparent. For whatever reason students in 'advanced ' classes seem to think that they are 'above the law" (so to speak). I think that their good grades (sometimes earned dishonestly) may have, unfortunately, allowed them more leeway from previous teachers. dealing with and administering discipline to this class of student always seems to invoke more drama as compared to dealing with the so called "knuckleheads".

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2014

Yes, the so-called advanced students are way more entitled. As are their parents.

I seldom have cheating issues in my regular classes. But my advanced classes always have a handful. Other teachers in my school ignore (or are in denial about) these behaviors because the kids don't give them as much trouble. I had a teacher float into my room once. Right in front of my desk I saw this one girl cheating. Alerted the teacher (who taught German) and showed her the list of German words written on my desk as a cheat sheet. The teacher brushed it off, saying that one of my students must have written them (I teach science) and even if, all kids cheat. That girl ended up being the National Honor Society President, despite my reservations.

Like the OP, I try to get photographic evidence each time I suspect cheating. While parents will still argue against the evidence, administration has always backed me.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 17, 2014

My room has the leveled bookroom and communal math supplies. The math coach and 1 teacher will use the sign out book, pen and just leave it any where. Drives me nuts!

Reflect on what you will do differently next year for this type of student.

We are required to keep our door locked at all times.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 17, 2014

Needless to say I had the most wtf moment when that happened. I'm not the type of person to yell but if I was, I'd chew the hell out of her in front of the class to embarrass her. But that's in hindsight. I learned that she had ditched lunch and came back to school late. So she went to ask me for a pen and a different teacher for a sticky note. I don't know why she borrowed a pen but the sticky note I can understand since it's more commonly used by teachers for a pass. For some reason when I gave her a pen, I picked an uncommon color, turquoise, which turned out to help bust her later for ditching.

So using the pen and sticky note, she or a friend wrote a fake teachers pass to her fifth period teacher stating she was making up a test that's why she was late. Her teacher called the other teacher and nope. Busted. I provided testimony I lent her a turquoise pen because the fake note was written in turquoise.

9. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 17, 2014

Smarter kids sure are more creative in cheating. My regular kids try to cheat, but it's blatantly obvious. The constant looking up at me to see if I'm looking, the purse on the desk, the looking straight down at the lap, etc. the best part is I usually let them cheat because they still fail the test. One time I knew a kid had a cheat sheet tucked on the inside of his binder cover. When I handed him back his test, I also made a comment about knowing what he did. He was like "yeah but I still got a 30%!" Oh man. Lmao n

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2014

I had a parent complain that my tests and quizzes were too hard. Must be because her straight A student was doing poorly on them. That's the barometer, I guess.

Anyhow, her brilliant daughter got a 20 on a quiz. It was a fill-in-the blank quiz with no word bank. She missed all but two answers. The remaining eight answers were the exact same answers that the kid next her had on his quiz. Only he had a different version of the quiz :). When Mom called a meeting (with my boss in attendance) she used this grade as "proof" that my quizzes must be too hard. Her daughter had NEVER received a grade like that before in her life! Thankfully I had the forethought to photocopy the two quizzes before returning them to students.

11. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 17, 2014

as an aside, in my first year I once asked an academically challenged student why he would bother to cheat off of "Billy", who, if anything, was perhaps an even worse student than the student in question. (They had identical answers to all questions). He just shrugged and said, "Mr. X, I know my answers are wrong. And I can at least hope that Billy's are right". I had to laugh at his simple, straightforward and honest answer. I then reminded him that Billy's version was different than his, and, in fact, there wasn't a test just like his in the immediate vicinity.

making different versions of the test, circulating in the room during test time, and providing evidence of cheating to the offenders has reduced cheating (at least on tests). anything done for grades outside of the classroom - that's a whole different story.

12. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 17, 2014

Oh yeah. "My daughter is getting A's and B's in all of her other classes but she is failing yours. Something isn't right!"

Well she's failed almost every test (talking about 20%-ish) and my tests are almost the same as the study guides which are also the same as the textbook. Either your daughter isn't doing the work/studying, or you can go complain to the district that they assigned a textbook that is too difficult. And also talk to your daughter what she means when she says "this class isn't important". Just don't accuse me of not liking your child.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2014

:thumb:

What strategies did you use this year with this student, joeschmoe?

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2014

I have quite a few students in my classes who are getting Fs (or Ds and Cs) in my class and As in their other classes. If anyone ever accuses me of anything, I just have to pull out their work from this quarter and compare it to a student's work who got A and I don't even have to say a word.
    Luckily no one really questions anything, except for some students 'mention' it and when I point out how many times they didn't want to do their classwork, they get quiet :)

Documentation and keeping student work really pays off.