As Seen on TV

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Writer's Block, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 6, 2009

Is anyone else as much of a sucker as me???:eek:

I love As Seen on TV things. I don't buy them from TV; I get them from a store. I bought a cookie press, and I made cookies last week. They turned out NOTHING like what they were supposed to. They tasted fine, but they looked horrible. I bought a cake decorator thingy, but my cakes don't look pretty.

I just saw a commercial for a chopper thing that you "slap" down and it chops things really well. I am sure if I bought it from a store, I will use it once, and it will wind up in the pantry never to be heard from again.

I bought a pancake pan that makes little round pancake balls, but I can't get the filling in them...

Maybe it's me. I love some of the stuff they show, but why does it NEVER work the same when you get it home?

I do love my one touch can opener, however...

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

Totally! I bought something once that you slide down plastic and it seals it. So you could re-seal plastic bags. I was so excited that when I opened the envelope it came in, I dropped it and broke it.

Poo.

Pancake balls sound amazing.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

I've purchased some stuff and I'm happy with what I've gotten so far....GREEN BAGS (to keep fruit/veggies fresh), DermaWand, Kiyoseki hair straightener, that lightbulb that runs on batteries...hmmm...can't think of anything else right now; I've heard wonderful things about the Ped Egg; so that's next on my list! :D

I have a site that I've bookmarked that you might be interested in; there are lots of reviews and you can add your own:

http://www.infomercialratings.com/

5. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 6, 2009

OMG! That site is great. I will definitely check it out before I buy any more things (I am sure my husband will appreciate that!).

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 6, 2009

I have always had the secret desire to be a tester for some of these products. I would love to be able to test them and then tell people if they really work or not. I guess that I should go and work for Consumer Reports. Just my 2 cents.

7. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 6, 2009

They were really good. We ended up just making the pancake balls and dipping them in all the syrups and jellies. It came with a syringe type thing that you could use to squirt filling into the ball, but I never got it to work right.

8. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Jan 6, 2009

Anyone tried the "ShamWOW!"? I would love to know if they're worth it!!!!!!!!!!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 6, 2009

I've heard the ShamWOW is junk, but I've never tried it on my own. That was from reviews online.

I have the slap-down chopper. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago. It works, but I can do just as much damage with my Santoku knife and a nice big cutting board. I tried it for tomatoes when I made salsa, because I hate cutting tomatoes. It did an OK job, but I had to use the big grid so it didn't jam, and I had to end up cutting them into slices anyway, which means I had my knife out, so it was kind of a waste of time. Plus, I had big huge tomato chunks, instead of nice small salsa dices. And, I can dice an onion in under 30 seconds, and I always have my cutting board sitting out 'cause I use it so much, my knife is right there, so it is a waste of time to drag the thing out. And it is a pain to clean-there are these teeth on the top that push the food through, and food gets stuck in there. Blech.

The best thing I ever bought was a Rotato. You stick the potato on the points and turn the handle, and it peels the potato. I loved it. It was great if you had a lot to peel. But it broke-poo.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2009

Actually, there's a store in my area called Bed, Bath & Beyond that carries many "only sold on TV" items, so I make sure to check there first.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 7, 2009

We have bed bath and beyond too and it does sell a lot of as seem items. Mom bought the pedegg and loves it.

12. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

This year for our family's gift exchange we did an As Seen on T.V. theme. My dh was SO excited because every time he sees a product on TV he also wonders if it really works and wants to try it. Some of the products that went around: ShamWow!, Mighty Putty, Hercules hooks, some sort of food chopper, floor dusting slippers, Smooth Away, the Ped Egg, and bunch of other stuff that I can't remember now.

We can't wait 'til the next family gathering for the "review session".

Funny sidenote: We just got back from a vacation in FL and there was an As Seen on TV store in the mall there. We were swimming at our hotel and met the guy who owns that store. He was giving us the run down on what he thought the good products were and dh was completely absorbed - it was kind of funny given the gift exchange we had just done. :)

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 7, 2009

We used to have one of those stores in our mall. I bought a cake pan for my mom. It was the one that was domed shaped and you could put something inside of it like a different flavor cake or ice cream.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

I believe that's what hubby got as a present this year. We haven't tried it out yet... I'll let you know whenever we do.

We wondered about the paint thing (the one you hold in your hand) & I wondered how that mineral shaver thing worked. I forgot what these are called.

A local news lady has a thing try before you buy & has dones some of the things.

15. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jan 7, 2009

My dad buys As Seen On Tv gifts every year, and they are always kitchen gadgets. This year we all got Ove Gloves. Amazing products! I really want a Gt Express 101 or whatever its called, but I have read bad reviews online.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

So far the only thing I've gotten from an infomercial is Bare Minerals and I swear by that stuff now.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

I got the magic bullet...not the best...but it was a gift. I've also gotten topsy tail...supposed to make easy hair styles from a pony tail....well...my hair was too thick and long...and always hurt to use!
    I got my dad some of that mighty putty...he hasn't used it yet. It looks cool...lol. I think I've gotten something else...but not sure at the moment :)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 7, 2009

The mighty putty is good (according to my husband).

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

I'm getting really tempted to get Mighty Mendit. I can't sew! The reviews are also that the stuff actually works.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

On our news channel (out of DFW), they have a Deal or Dud segment where a reporter gets people to try out these As Seen On TV to see if they actually work. It's fun to see what products work and which ones don't.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009

I really can't stand the PediEgg commercials but now I am intriqued after reading another post that it actually is a good product. I have the thing that goes under the door to stop air from coming in. It doesn't stay under our door. It comes out really easy and sometimes it makes the door hard to open or close. I guess if it was on a door that we don't use then it wold be good.

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzsQV6-02Yw

Here's a video review of the ped egg!

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009

Warning
    With the "2 for" offers
    you get charged a shipping & handling charge on everything

EXAMPLE the Snuggie™ blanket
    You pay $19.95 for the first blanket then you get a 2nd blanket plus "Super-slim, totally portable Book Light" with each Snuggie™ blanket absolutely FREE!" BS!

But you are charged shipping & handling on each item as if they are shipped separately the $19.95 turns into about $50 and they don't tell you till they already have your Credit card info........

I am waiting for them to come to walmart or walgreens........

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 8, 2009

They sell it in many makeup stores now. If you have an ulta they sell it there.

25. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 8, 2009

They sell them on QVC. Tv channel shopping. Also, every info mercial I have seen will tell you that you have to pay shipping and handling. They already make something like the snuggie its called a robe. I see no difference other than calling it a blanket with sleeves.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2009

Okay, so the plastic bowl that you can put your pasta in (I forget the name), but it has a measuring thing on the side, and you just put the pasta in, add water, and pop it in the microwave! It was a deal1

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 9, 2009

Ok I will admit I have a Nuddle. It is the better version of a snuggie. I got it for christmas and I love it. My big thing is that my feet are always cold and this has a special pocket for feet.

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

Oh my goodness what an awesome, fun idea! I think you have something here!!

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

We need to buy this for our still broken toilet. Did he order it online or get it at a store? Please let me know. I am trying to keep a blow torch out of the house.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

I'd like to hear about those Debbie Greenberg bags or whatever they are for the fruit and veggies.

Anyone?

31. jcs1985

jcs1985 Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

I got the ped egg and I LOVE IT!! Everyone in my family swears by it! Just maks sure you get refills.Also, my dog hates for me to even touch her toenails. The vet won't even cut her nails, she freaks out so bad! So I got the Pedi paws and it has been great! I want to try the thing that rubs hair off your legs! I will let you know if it works!

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

I just got a flyer from Bed Bath & Beyond... they have the Mendit stuff there!!! I think around $10 & then the coupon you get on the flyer.... Just thought I'd let you know!!!

33. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2009

I got some for my dad at CVS (pharmacy)...they also have it at Walgreens. I've seen it at Target too.

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2009

Lemon! I have them!! I really do love them! I've heard pros & cons about them, but they are great for me. The only thing is when it's time to wash them out...I usually hang them dry from a spatula or big spoon sitting in my sink. LOL

You can check the reviews on many of the products here:

http://www.infomercialratings.com/

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2009

anybody here use the Shamwow??

36. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Jan 9, 2009

i've heard (and seen on a news show) great things about the Mighty Putty and the Mighty Mendit. :)