As a teacher, is it common to feel this way?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by luvteaching25, May 13, 2008.

1. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

May 13, 2008

Hi everyone,

So with the year coming to a close, there are so many checklists we, as teachers, have to take care of. One of them is End of the Year Assessments. I got some of my assessments done. I was first of all very proud of all my students. They have learned and progressed SOO much, but then there are some that though they haven't progressed to learn 100% of the material and s:huh:kills, still have progressed. Out of 14 items and 25 children, 17 got 14/14, 3 of them got 13/14, 1 got 12/14, 2 got 10/12 and 1 got 7/14.

In one way I am so proud of the ones that got a perfect score on their assessment! But on the other hand I feel like I could have done so much more to help the other ones get to that level. I also realize that as a teacher, you are always going to have children at different developmental levels and not always are they going to be 100%, but I figured I can always try my best so that they are able to get to that point.

Is it NORMAL or common for first-time teachers to feel this way?:huh::unsure:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 13, 2008

Yes. You come to realize you do the best you can, but not every kid will take advantage of what you have to offer. Congrats on getting your kids to perfect scores!

4. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

May 13, 2008

Thank you! As happy as I am...I wish the others would have had higher scores. It seems that they have such a hard time retaining information.

5. MrL

MrL Companion

May 13, 2008

My first principal said that your only goal for the first year is survival. You'll help the kids more next year, and any help you actually managed to give this year was a miracle.