arts education project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jamie_a, Sep 20, 2006.

1. jamie_a

jamie_a Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

I'm a pre-service teacher looking for some help with an Arts Ed project. The focus is one, great resource. It needs to be something you think every teacher of the arts (visual art/dance/music) should have. Ideally it should be something that you can use in all Arts Ed strands. One example we were given was leaves (art using leaves, music instruments/sound of leaves). I was leaning toward pine cones or maybe milk cartons as both seem to have a million uses. My question to you is: Are there any resources you use regularly in your class? Is there one resource you could never live without?

3. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 21, 2006

I don't teach art or music, but here's my two cents anyway. My grade 1 colleague uses beans/dried peas/lentils/rice every year. They make shakers in music class. In May or June she does a "nature" picture, where they draw the outline (ie a flower) and then "colour" it by gluing on the different seeds/beans etc. that she provides. Not sure how you could use these items for dance though!

4. Tommytune45

Tommytune45 Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Speaking as a music teacher witnessing the demise of 120 years of music education at the hands of the current government, I've built mountain dulcimers and utilized alternative methods of reading for primary schoolers as well as standard notation for intermediate students, sawn 55 gallon plastic drums donated by local road crews, used broom handle, lag screwed tennis balls to womp those thunder drums, garbage cans, buckets, milk bottles, broom sticks with and without the brooms, paper cups, silverware and trays in the cafeteria and orchestrated "Stomp"-esque choreography, developed what is now an obsolete 7 octave English handbell choir for 45 4th/5th graders using color assisted Winslow-Dalin rhythm overlaid upon piano manuscripts, performed bells everywhere from underground caves to the state assembly, accompanied the chorus with multicultural folk to rock to classical sequences from a digital piano, brought in live folk and jazz artists to accompany the chorus, performed Silent Night in four languages, collectively composed the school's alma mater.

Y'know...general ed people are right. We don't need music teachers!

5. jamie_a

jamie_a Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

thanks for the great ideas!

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 22, 2006

I am not a music or art teacher but:

how about a rubber band!

7. jamie_a

jamie_a Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

oooh, i hadn't even thought of that! thanks!

8. Tommytune45

Tommytune45 Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

Good idea definitely. Get the rubber band all practiced up and the kids can go to the rubber ball!