Arts and crafts.

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Do you believe having the students do arts and crafts in fourth grade is appropriate or not exactly what they need at ages 9-11? The only time I really do it is for Christmas, but I know there are teachers who do it more often. Sometimes I have the students sketch out diagrams, build models, and put together other things artistically, yet it's all academically-based.

We have a class cooking show in October that is NOT academically-based, but... mmmmmmmm :whistle:

Oh, it links to math and science. True. :blush:

If you do it more often, how do you incorporate it in your curriculum? And for what?

3. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I think kids need an art class once a week. Some of the gifted kids need art and are very good at it.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

We have art once a week. I try to stay away from "crafts" and go for more art projects. I think it's important. Some kids may not be very successful academically, but they are very successful in art. Others may not be the best athlete, but art gives them a chance to shine. We do art on Friday afternoons, and it's something the kids always look forward to.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

That sounds good Steph-ernie. I used to teach Pre-K and arts and crafts were a part of each day. Having art each Friday sounds like a wonderful way to end the week!

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

In our district, the kids are required to go to "specials" once a day. They rotate between art, pe, and music. Therefore the crayola curriculum, as the administration calls it, is not allowed in our classrooms. I will let them draw during science, or random lessons here and there, but not often. Holiday time is an exception.

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I incorporate art into my SS curriculum as often as possibly, and I teach middle school! I do at least one art project per unit, and we draw as part of our learning/visualization process. Since you are self-contained, I'm sure you could find ways to integrate your projects academically. The cooking show for example - there is a lot of math in cooking, also sequencing, and following directions. If it is actually "produced/performed" then there is the public speaking/performance standards from LA as well. All for it! It is very motivating for students to "get their art on" :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

The kids have art in specials rotation for 40 minutes.

I've done some art projects in units...
    - The kids made a "Welcome to Florida" map which they painted and made 3-D.
    - They made a (Timucuan) wigwam for the Southeastern Indians/Spanish unit.
    - I've done plenty more, but I'm sort of tired. :angel:

Oh, and the cooking show is going to be a BLAST. My really good friend is hosting it, and she's even bringing in her Pampered Chef stuff. :woot:

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

I used to do projects different times of the year that were sent home as GIFTS. They were not to finish in one sitting....

We used to blow eggs and decorate them and I taught them about Fabrege'. (Spring time)
    November we made gorgeous Dream catchers using dry cleaning hangers for the rim, and embroidery floss as the web with pony beads and feathers. I also used a roll of suede string to go around the edge.
    For the Broward County Fair we make a classroom quilt. Each child has their own 'square' to complete and take to work on at home. Many will bring it in to work on during their spare time or over lunch.
    December I usually do a votive or table center gift.
    Mothers day I usually do a photo type of project where they have to decorate a frame and make flowers from model magic.
    Fathers day a wind chime out of nuts bolts. You can do the wind chime out of old forks spoons from thrift stores. Or, you can do it out of soda cans using kitchen shears.
    April- Earth day- using old magazines and mod podge make beads and create necklaces.
    Tie dying for color my world drug free
    Africa studies/ black history month Mancala boards from model magic(used up way too much clay)
    sew our own KUFI using fabric purchased from store. Student uses template to trace the CIRCLE and RECTANGLE. Cut out and sew. SUPER EASY
    Paper Mache Globes for Columbus day

I always made one along side the kids as a sample and would need to give it to a child who missed school on the day that we started it.
    I rarely ever get to keep them for myself but this year i have FOUR of the dream catchers!
    (I entered the dream catchers and the quilt and a circle graph project into the youth fair) The circle graph is square wood, students hammer nails into a circle shape and they use string to make a 'spirograph' from nail to nail.
    Science Fair projects being done IN CLASS also was another project.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Those are nice ideas, Ruth! I love dream catchers and enjoyed when I made them in my junior year of high school. I have one hanging in my classroom as well. The art projects we do for Christmas are clear ornaments that we swirl with paint on the inside and embellish with "jewels", candles, and picture frames. All of those are painting projects.

Our hands-on projects besides what we do in class for holidays/special events is in Social Studies. :)

11. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I have my kids not only do art projects in social studies but also in language and reading.
    In language, they illustrate each figure of speech as we learn it...for example if we are studying onomatopoeia and the word is "snap" they would illustrate it and describe it to the class....its a fun way to get kids thinking about language which can sometimes be boring to them...
    I also do projects in reading to go along with our theme or story...one particular story was called "amelia's road" and they illustrated amelia's road after we read and discussed the story...

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I think Mrs. Renz's book report projects are great for reading class- and so is the cereal box report from Mrs. Newingham's website! :woot:

As for onomatopoeia, they hear Melissa's Forney's poem every year from Razzle Dazzle Writing and make sound effects for different onomatopoeic words they come across. :) That is one hyper, but FUN lesson!

13. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Another teacher told me today that Jan Brett's book, The Umbrella, was good for onomatopoeia. The poem sounds like a blast!
    I use several of Mrs. Renz' book report projects but never knew about the other one. I'll have to go check it out! Thanks!

14. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Most of the arts/crafts projects take place in the art class (more art than craft). Anything that we have to do in the classroom must be linked to a standard. Sometimes we respond to what we have read with a drawing instead of writing. We have make 3-D figures, tessellations, etc. in math. Students have created model homes for Native Americans in Social Studies. And in Science, students have made 3-D projects for the solar system, animal habitats, types of clouds, etc.
    It would be nice to have a day when you could just make something because it was fun! Just one day! :)

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I always link mine to standards except for Christmas, and then I feel better doing it. :)

I've had the animal habitats before, too! The students also built a bridge in math class last year to study structures in geometry. Then the wigwam models were made in social studies. It makes the curriculum more fun. :)