artificial insemination

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sharon122, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I need your help. 20 years ago I was artificially inseminated by a donor as a means of infertility treatment. We hadn't told our daughter as it was never the "right time". Well, this weekend we told her and she is having difficulty with the not knowing her history. She gets the reason and knows there is nothing wrong with the procedure. We adore her and don't know how to advise or help her. Have you ever heard of any support groups for the children produced by insemination? She has an appointment with a therapist at her college tomorrow, but my heart breaks as I don't know the words to say. Please PM if you know anyone going through this. Thanks so much for listening.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

Sometimes the problem is that there was a secret...not what the secret was....

Your daughter is in college. I know it's water under the bridge but why did you keep the secret so long?

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2007

Just curious, but why after 20 years would you tell her at all?..:(

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2007

I am wondering the same thing.....just out of curiosity!

I do not know anyone that is going through this, and I do hope that you and your family get through this trying time. I am glad to hear that your daughter is getting help through therapy. IT sounds like she is away, but maybe during breaks and summer, you might consider family sessions.....I am sure that there are support groups out there for children who were consieved through insemination.....I would not know where to find them thouhg. Perhaps the internet or yellow pages. A therapist may also be albe to point you in the right direction.
    Best of luck to you and your family.

6. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

I have a son who's adopted...and while it's not the same issue, it is similar. You could look for information on the interenet about kids who found out about being adopted later in life. We discussed with our son since he was an infant about his being adopted, so I can imagine it's a difficult situation you are dealing with.

Part of the problem for her will probably be dealing with the fact that she will never know who her birth parent is...it's like a loss and will involve a grieving process.

She may also be struggling with a sense of "who am I," which is difficult enough for kids her age.

Just keep reassuring your child that you love her, her father loves her, and that's what is important.

Good luck to you!