Article about jobs in education

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiki7719, Sep 22, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

yes let's flood the market more!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2008

We still have a long way to go until 2020, and even then you will still have traditional graduates from colleges that will be looking for positions as well. I honestly don't see how the school districts can come up with higher salaries for people with experience in other areas, unless the economy changes and those districts get a higher budget.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008

"Nearly 6 in 10 potential teachers say they'd need a starting salary of $50,000 or more."
    Then they don't really want to be teachers. I will be here at least 15 years before I'll make $50,000.

"The changes needed, he says, include more collaborative work environments and a pay structure that credits experience in other fields and rewards job performance."
    I think I'll be really mad if a first year teacher was making as much as me because he was an accountant for 10 years. All first year teacher has growing pains. It's something that you have to do to get good at. No other career can prepare you for teaching.

6. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Sep 22, 2008

I would just like to have a teaching job starting at anything higher then I have now, which is 0. I am someone who changed carreers and still have not found anyone interested in hiring me.

7. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 22, 2008

I hear ya To Teach.
    I had my first interview last week, and I have not heard a thing.
    I think I blew it. I wanted it too much and spoke too rapidly.
    However, I expected more than one interview after obtaining my credential last May.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 23, 2008

Why would districts go out of their way to accommodate people who are "career changers" when there are already so many people whose first choice has always been teaching that can't get jobs because there aren't openings?

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 23, 2008

Federal Bank of CHICAGO?????

Reality shocker thread was ABOUT Chicagoland school districts.

Late September, Fifth grade teaching position (mind you that's not an easy start)...and there were 230 applications for that ONE JOB!

10. BrainsInGear

BrainsInGear New Member

Sep 24, 2008

People have been screaming "teacher shortage" for almost a decade now, but since I received my credential in 2003, I haven't been able to land a position. I've been searching for five years, in three different states. Often, I've interviewed along with 300+ people all vying for the same position, even in very small towns.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 24, 2008

When the economy goes sour, teaching is what people turn to. I think we'll see more articles about the teacher shortage given the economy.