Art Teacher Interview this Monday

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by MissMae, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Oct 4, 2013

I have an interview for a Part Time Art Teacher position for a High School charter here in Arizona. The ad stated that I did not need to have "coursework or experience in education" to apply. Which, I do not, I was just accepted into a Master's Program to get my Teachers Cert in Elem Edu starting this Spring.

ANYWAY-my art background is that I have taken LOTS of art classes since I was little. Everything from ceramics, to photography, to drawing, painting, portraits, still life, landscape, history of photography, art history, and the list goes on. I am an artist in my adult life more as a hobby, but I still keep up with it.

I want to know what I can do to make myself stand out. I know I am at a disadvantage because my BA is not in art and I only have some tutoring/teaching experience, AND I'm not certified.

I have already put together a small portfolio of sorts: my work/education resume, my art philosophy, curriculum style (DBAE), how I would include parents, classroom management/discipline, grading, using technology, addressing levels of skill, and a few sample lesson plans.

What else can I do?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

I don't have any advice for you, but I wish you luck. Not having a degree in either art or education seems like it'll be a big drawback, so obviously you need to be prepared to answer those questions. I'd suggest being proactive... go into the meeting, acknowledge that you aren't the most credentialed person they're likely to interview, and explain why you'll be the best fit for the job anyway.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 5, 2013

How will you address literacy? In what ways will incorporate math and science? How are you going to get your student's art outside the classroom?

Think about incorporating reading, cross curriculum, and community orientation. If these issues are not raised for you by your interviewers, you should raise them (or issues you feel strongly about in regards to art).

Good luck.