Art Projects

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by katenar, Aug 24, 2008.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

We don't have an Art teacher at our school so it's up to me to teach art. What are some fun art projects you do with your kids? Last year, I didn't do much and it really bummed me out and the kids. But I just felt all this pressure to do everything else that art was the last thing on my mind. Any ideas are appreciated!

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I do a lot of open ended art with my kindergarten children, that could easily be adapted for 5th...One (and it's one of my favorites) is to give them a piece of black construction paper, and a bunch of colored strips of paper. They then glue the strips onto the paper into a 3-d fashion (loops, hills, stairs, bumps, etc.) combining thema nd what not..looks really good on a bb as it is very 3-d.
    We also do straw sculptures. Give each child about 10-15 straws or whatever number you'd like. and they then connect them, cross them over each other and what not, creating AWESOME 3-d scultptures, that I then hang from the ceiling. I have several more if you want...let me know..

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

Definitely, keep em coming! I love the 3-D straw sculpture idea!!

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Amazing...if you use the flourescent colored straws they look even better!!! I also give them a big piece of white construction paper, and we make lines all over with masking tape and paint the sections different colors, then peel off the tape after drying...kind of like stained glass look....I'm drawing a blank on some others, but will keep thinking...my books I use are at school of course..

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

Pointillism...

It can be adapted to any grade.
    I did it with my grade 7's last year, another teacher did it with her grade 3/4's
    To make it more of a real art experience for your students, get some painting canvases at your local dollar store
    Have students choose a picture they like (it can be as simple or as detailed as they want, depending on their ability in art, or it can even be abstract.
    they put a piece of carbon paper and turn the picture over on top of the carbon paper and trace it to transfer it lightly onto the canvas, then they use the pointillism technique to fill in the picture in the likeness of the original (use the end of a paintbrush, a Q tip or something to fill in areas with small dots of necessary colours - it may not look good up close, but have them stand back and look at it and they will be amazed).

You can teach them about mixing colours, you can research the history of this technique together first and discuss artists wo pioneered it, etc...

Mosaic...

Paint large flat noodels like lasagna noodles in differen colours.
    Let dry then break into pieces keeping colours separated (green with green, red with red, blue with blue, etc..)
    Then on cardboard they plan out a picture (could be abstract, a company logo, a nature scene, a pattern, anything really)
    Glue pieces of the painted noodles to create the picture they outlined, piecing them together as a mosaic.

These are a couple of ideas that came to mind. I happen to love teaching art!

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

What do you have the kids use to connect the straws?

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

I use the first semester to work on the parents' Christmas gift. We make calendars. Some years I have used famous artists to highlight either specific techniques or time periods. This year I'm trying to find artwork from different cultures around the world. Each piece of artwork decorates the page for a different month. In December I bind the pages and we glue in calendar grids, date them, and add birthdays, holidays, etc.

You could always try introducing the kids to the 5 elements of art: line, color, texture, form, I'm drawing a blank on the last one, sorry. I know I have found different websites with lessons for each. My alltime go-to site is www.crayola.com You will find all sorts of lessons that can be adapted. There are literally hundreds of lesson plans, many of them incorporated into other areas of study like sience or social studies.

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I used to volunteer as a picture lady for all grades at my children's elementary school. A favorite material was a dry paper pulp that you add water, form, let air dry, then paint. Fifth graders could each mix their own batch. We've made tiny bowls, animals, jewelry. But my favorite was over tiny clay pot bases and we made gargoyles. Very fun. The pulp comes in a block package in white or gray at craft stores. Kids do so much flat art (ie-drawing) that it is interesting to go 3D.

10. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Basically they have to twist one end of the straw closed and stick it inside the other end of the straw, but if needed, could always use a little scotch tape.

11. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

And we use scotch tape to bend them in ways to make them more 3-d and interesting....

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

Do you know the brand name for this product? I'd like to pick some up for my class.

13. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

What a great idea!!! What size paper do you have the kids create their artwork on? Any other pointers you can share? I love this idea!!!

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

I just use standard 9X12 construction paper, all pictures are horizontal. Make sure they leave about 1/2 inch across the bottom empty or the binder machine will punch holes through their pictures. This is really important with any art work that has been glued. Just have fun with the project. Whatever theme you choose, make it something that interests you. If you're excited they will get on board. If you want more specifics about individual projects, feel free to PM me.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2008

You might want to consider crafts to correlate with your social studies units. I'm assuming you study American history in 5th. There is so much you can do. It is easy to find crafts for early civilizations in Mexico and South America, from picture writing to sun designs, to constructing models of cities. For North American Native Americans, you can have kids make models of shelters for each culture group. They can include examples of how they cooked, what they hunted, what the terrain was like in each area. My kids love this project. For the colonial period, there are tons and tons of crafts. And so on. I'm going to use historical fiction as much as possible for ideas for crafts - and possibly cooking, too

16. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

Runsw/scissors- the paper mache material is called Celluclay Instant Paper Mache by Activa. I've gotten it at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 25, 2008

Thanks!

18. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

I feel so sorry for you kids not being able to have an art teacher! But crayola.com has loads of things that could easily be done. Ignore all the and using crayola bold fine tip markers yda yada yada..You'll get the point! And art teachers in general love the website Artsonia.com Art teachers from around the country post picture of their students work and that might help to give you some ideas. Someone said eariler to connect to your socialstudies. Probably the easiest and most beneficial for you as well! (I minored in Art History) If you have pictures in your text books etc you could get them doing art history projects to go along with their social studies stuff. Check out those websites b/c they will give you some ideas.