Art Projects

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by AJK, Sep 22, 2003.

1. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 22, 2003

Do you do art projects whole group or as a center? Do you use reproduce-ables or pre-made craft projects (a-la Oriental Trading Co.)?

3. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 22, 2003

We do both. My assistant likes to do things with each child. It is too much cookie cutter art for me...but she is terrific and I let her do it. The parents like it also. I have a collage tray as a lesson to choose.

Today I left paper out and pictures from the hurricane. I told them they could draw their own hurricane pictures if they wanted. There is always blank paper, crayons and colored pencils on the shelf. As the year progresses I hope to get an easel that will be there all the time also. Of course, we also have the metal insets.

I had an outline of a butterfly from the internet and they colored it as they liked. This is on the self for them to choose also.

Eileen

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 23, 2003

Reproductions of artists

I follow the different styles of artists or subject of their art. I have an 'album' that I created that is EXTREMELLLLLYYYY valuable to me as it has taken me almost two years to create. I collected and purchased many different books that are reproductions and coloring pages of famous or not so famous art work. You know when parents give magazines for classroom cutting, well a parent gave an entire collection of national geographic. From that, I pulled out articles about art. Also from Art magazines and Museum magazines! Dover publications sells many of these books. http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-art.html

Another web and materials available is called meet the masters. They are large colorful reproductions of art and lessons to go with it. www.meetthemasters.com/programoutline.htm This link will provide you with the list of artists and what you can teach using their works. Also a must go to (and no I dont have any affiliation to the web site, but absolutely adore its plethora of resources is: www.enchantedlearning.com ) The link for art will not only provide you an alphabetical list of artists but a sample of their art with a biographical segment below the work. They are coloring sheets for the children to use any medium that you provide. It also breaks down into the countries the artists are from ex. Danish, french, spanish, american.... There are two books that I also used that are lesson ideas for the different artists. I am having a brain fart at the moment and cant think of the name. If I can post later their titles.... AJK lets make a play date at KINKOS!!!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 23, 2003

oh here is another

I am now looking at my art album and i found another site with great art ideas and also some reproducibles of the artists work.
    www.kinderart.com/arthistory/matissecutouts.htm
    This should get you to their site and to one artist but click on artists/art history for more

I got 'the scream' by edward munch from http://arthistory.about.com but it says that they borrowed it from Kinderart
    www.brightring.com and do a search for great artists

I also used a few pages from the books that there are like three versions or three in the series of it: something like: The Anti coloring book by Owl Books.

Most artists, dead or alive, have their own websites- keith herring has some really cute coloring sheets on line.

I also collected from local museums the brochures from their traveling and permanent exhibits.

I collected the covers of saturday evening post magazine for norman rockwell.

for pop art biographies:
    www.fi.muni.cz/~toms/PopArt/Biographies/christo.html.ISO-8859-1

For dr. suess and Charles Shultz I used cartoon activity books/coloring pages.

Romero Britto has a studio on Lincoln Road, in Miami beach and I was able to get miniature artworks/postcards of his work from the studio.

I am also in posession of fine art transparencies!!! YES, I DOOOO
    The book is by Holt, Rinehart, and Winston and the program is called Elements of Literature. There are discs in the back for printing the materials!

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 23, 2003

Thank for you those wonderful web sites. I am in artist heaven!!!!

I love the scream. How perfect for next month. Imagine all the differents stories I will get out of the kids about that picture.

Eileen

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 23, 2003

here is more stuff

The Enchanted Learning menu of art and artists:
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

African-American Artists Australian Artists British Artists Canadian Artists Chinese Artists Dutch Artists Egyptian Art French Artists German Artists Greek Art Italian Artists Japanese Artists Mexican Artists Spanish Artists US Artists Women Artists
    Portraits Landscapes, Seascapes Still Lifes Animals Objets d'Art
    Prehistoric and Ancient 1400s 1500s 1600s 1700s 1800s 1900s

http://www.coloringpagefun.com/gallery.html
    for sketching

http://www.coloringpagefun.com/doversamples.html
    for free Dover samples

8. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 23, 2003

Thanks for all the links Ruth...my kids are a little too young for some of it but I'll keep it for later on in the school year :)

9. austeach

austeach Companion

Sep 23, 2003

I'm not sure whether I should be thanking Ruth or growling at her. I LOVE these sites and am spending way too much time looking at them when I should be getting ready for school. Mind you, that could also be because I am not to keen to be rushing off to school, but I'll blame the great sites anyway.:)

Honestly though, thanks Ruth. I needed these as I know that I could be doing a lot more in my Art lessons and I needed some kind of motivation.

10. Sep 17, 2004

I have an interview as a Teacher's Assistant at a Montessori school in a few days. There will be 20 children in class, age 2 1/2 - K. What qualities do you look for in an assistant? I'm in my mid-30's and switching careers. I'm enrolling in ECE classes, then onto classes to receive my BA in Education. In the meantime, I am looking for experience in the classroom. My formal background is in Advertising as a Creative Director. My passion is children! Any advice for interview will be most helpful! Thank you. Lisa