Art Projects

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

Hello!!

I am in need of any art project ideas you can throw at me. I only have my kiddies for 2 1/2 hours each day and my schedule feels so cramped that I have hardly sent home anything. Between circle time, our literacy activity (which the school is huuuuge on balanced literacy and therefore our literacy is always an extended lesson), going to the cafeteria for snack, going on the playground, having free play or centers in the classroom, and my transition times, I feel like I have hardly any time left in the day to really sit them down and do a fun project. It also doesn't help that none of our art supplies have come in yet. Right now I am working with the glue, scissors, markers and crayons that all of the children brought in and a little bit of construction paper that was left in one of my cabinets from the last teacher. Most of my paper is a beige color and all we have really sent home so far have been drawings on this paper. I am trying to just make do for this week and hoping that I get paints and fun things by Friday. :::crossing fingers:::

Anyway like I said, I will take any ideas!! Either for quick projects I can send home so I don't feel like the parents aren't seeing any work coming home, things I can hang up in the room, or even longer things that I could stretch into 2 days. I have been looking for websites but I'm not really finding anything fantastic.

Thank You!!! :love:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2006

make your projects tie in with whatever you are learning.

Example, read a book about apples then have an apple stamp project. Then have an "A" coloring page, then have an apple for a snack!

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 17, 2006

6. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

I stress to get in cute art and craft things also... while children are having free play I pull a few at the time to do art... sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days to get them all, depending on how fancy the project is... but we try to complete 1 nice project a week... most go along with the theme we are working on.

7. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Same here- I try to do one a week that ties with the theme or letter of the week. Sometimes it takes a few days as we work on it during center time, a few children at a time (I teach 4's from 9-12pm). This past week we painted with flowers (carnations) for the letter F. This week we may make paper elephants for E, using a painted gray paper plate, and cut ears and eyes and nose from paper- student designed!

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 17, 2006

I'm on a tight schedule, too. My Pre-K'ers make art projects during their center times. A local hardware store donates scrap wood pieces for my carpentry center. I have wood glue there and the kids build. My art center has lots of scrap paper, punches, stamps, and a "collage box" with macaroni, paper scraps, stickers, glue, glitter, yarn, pompoms, and envelopes. My kids take home a lot of "process art". It's harder for me to fit in a lot of "product art".

9. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Sep 18, 2006

You can make scented "paint" by mixing a package of Kool-aid (or jello would work, too) with some regular glue. Kids love it... and since you said your school is big on literacy you could use the scents to tie your art to a book.
    When we read "If you give a pig a pancake," we had the kiddos cut out a circle and a small square (pancake and butter), and then put a couple of teaspoons of maple extract into a bottle of glue and had them put their "syrup" on their art. It was really neat.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 18, 2006

I forgot about paint. We have to easels for tempra painting and water colors.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 18, 2006

I hope you find some great art ideas!

Here's one that I'm going to try personally today (I'm in an Art for Teach. Class :) ).

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I imagine you can precut the oval tissue pieces waaay ahead of time and premix the 50/50 glue and water ahead, as well.

Hope that helps! Best wishes and post what you find!

12. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I really don't like the idea of children producing all the same art work - it is not a way for them to represent their own ideas. Do you have all of the materials available to them at Center time? Do the children make up games - e.g make a doctor's surgery, build cubby houses, make fire engines etc out of blocks? During these times you could extend their play through artwork. 'Gee I like the house you have made. Wouldn't a garden be lovely. How could we make a garden for your house?
    Box construction is a great activity also - just have the children bring in boxes, cardboard rolls (not toilet paper rolls) plastic lids etc.
    have lots of strong glue and sticky tape available - and paint too.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2006

14. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 18, 2006

Jazmum, the problem I'm having now is that none of those items are available for me to put out for the kiddies. I have precious few art items that my assistant and I have scrounged up from our homes that need to last us until I don't know when. I am hoping our supplies come in soon but I have no idea when they'll get here so I am forced to be very stingy with what I have the kids use. I absolutely hate it!!! I don't even have an art center at this point, I have a few easels that have off white construction paper and some crayons that's about it. My kitchen area is a hand-me-down playskool kitchen with table settings for 6 but no foods or anything and my block center is a bunch of legos that are on loan from a kindergarten class. It's awful!!! I can't WAIT until I can set them loose at free play and know that they have everything at their fingertips. The only good thing about it is that these kids are wonderful- they have no idea that they are playing with second rate toys in the room, they are still having a ton of fun, I'm the only one distressed about getting things in. I think when our stuff finally comes in and I can set up all of our centers the way I want to the kids will be in for quite a shock!!

Thank you for all the ideas everyone, I'm acquiring a great list!! :love: