Art Project Ideas needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by camcdade, Feb 17, 2006.

1. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Feb 17, 2006

Hi all!
    My third graders are taking their standardized reading test on Tuesday. After the test, (during the rest of the week) I would like to let them do a fun art project to unwind from all the hard work we've been doing to get ready for testing. Easier said than done!! I am not an artisitically inclined person... so hard to come up with good art projects. So - does someone have a fairly easy but fun art project that doesn't require a lot of different materials that would be appropriate for third grade?

Any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks!!

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 17, 2006

You can make mosaic art using construction paper and or tissue paper, just draw a design on paper and glue on the pieces. Or any design, like flowers drawn on paper in a vase and tiny squares of tissue paper then wrap the tissue paper on the end of a pencil eraser, dot of glue on the flower, then place the tissue paper on the glue-3D effect. Build a snowman, draw a snowman on black construction paper, and use tiny marshmallow for the snow, lick the end of a marshmallow and 'stick' them on the snowman for the snow, once it dries is just like glue.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2006

My first thought was mosaic art like mlr. I had an outline of Abe Lincoln that my kinders (can be used in 3rd too) used black, brown, and white beans to fill in. It turned out awesome. Beans or popcorn, rice, and marshmallows are great inexpensive choices for mosaics.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 18, 2006

I like to do science experiments. Fun Projects.
    ALKA SELTZER ROCKETS. (you can get empty film canisters from ---one-hour photo ---Wal-mart ---photo shops) This is an outside project. Fuji film canister – the kind where the lid fits inside the canister. The others don’t work.
    1. Optional: Make a cone and tape it to the top of the canister.
    2. Fill the film canister ½ full with warm water.
    3. Put in ¼ tablet of Alka Seltzer – no more
    4. Snap the lid tightly into the canister, turn it over on a hard surface and stand back. The lid is on the hard surface. The sodium bicarbonate will make the canister launch into the air. If you vary the temperature of the water, your rocket will shoot to different heights. The warmer the water, the higher it will go.
    5. This was a fun and educational projects. Students had a blast.

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 18, 2006

Oh simple science, wonderful idea. Here is a great site with neat experiments:

stevespanglerscience.com/experiments

7. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Feb 18, 2006

My son came home with something he really liked doing for his Valentine holder. I know Valentine Day is over but maybe you could use a different shape. He drew a heart then took a regular pencil and just scribbled inside the heart all over it. After that he took colored pencils and used all kinds of colors to make it look kind of like stained glass design. He really like doing it and said it is called scribble art.

8. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Feb 18, 2006

Make a light catcher from paper. Choose a nice picture that appeals to all the kids, maybe a leprechaun with his gold. Kids color their pictures with crayons. Wet a cotton ball with oil, any kind of cooking oil. Spread the oil all over the back of the picture, after it has been colored. Let dry, cut out, hang in the room. They look really cool.

String a necklace or bracelet for Spring. Craft shops and WalMart have all sorts of beads, plastic and foam, for this season. You can make cheap necklace strings from yarn or thread by dipping the end of it in hot wax. Do this at home. Don't have to wrap tape around the ends and it doesn't unravel.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 19, 2006

Elmers Glue ---put some in a bottle lid and dip the end of yarn or thread in it and it works just like the hot wax.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 19, 2006

I do this with markers. I did not know that crayons would work also. I make my students color in all the white spots before they could use the oil. This is a great craft for Christmas - I use stained glass pictures. I would also suggest using baby oil instead of cooking oil. It smells much better and kids are not so worried about getting it on their hands.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2006

12. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Please keep them coming!!

13. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Feb 19, 2006

You can make tissue paper pictures. You cut different colored tissue paper into little squares. Pull the little tissue paper squares over the eraser end of a pencil. Dip it in glue and then press it on construction paper. It works so well for leaves on trees, petals on flowers, or hair etc. It allows for creativity because they can make a design or picture but it adds texture and is so much fun!