Art in California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by renrupa2u, Apr 2, 2020.

1. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 2, 2020

Hello! I am currently in my 6th year teaching art at a k-8 school in Ohio. I am almost positive I am going to have to relocate to California before the next school year (fiance is going to start his phd and is leaning towards UCR). I have been looking at job listings on edjoin as well as researching many districts in the area where I will be relocating and one thing I'm noticing is they don't have actual art teachers--just organizations that bring in art teachers, no art, or in one case I saw that they have volunteers come in once a month and that is it. I guess I'm just curious as to why most places do not have actual art teachers and is this a "thing" everywhere in California?? I was just thinking maybe educators/admin IN California know more about this than I am able to find out from looking things up. Thanks for any information!!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 2, 2020

I am in the SF Bay area. The large high school I work at (about 2000 students) has at least 3 full time art teachers. The middle school I used to work at (about 1000 students) had 1. Smaller schools, which includes almost all our elementary schools, may utilize a guest artist system, but I am pretty sure some of them have art teachers on staff. I think the teachers might sometimes work at a couple of sites to make it a full-time job.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2020

I work at Oakland School for the Arts. We hire art teachers, however they tend to prefer artists (visual, performing, literary, and technical) who have worked in their respective fields to a significant degree. If that describes you, and you have a teaching credential as well, you would be highly sought after at my school. And we have a pretty big turnover.

5. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 2, 2020

Thanks for both of your input! It must just be the area that I am looking then (it's about 6 hours from your area, Sarge). I will say, and I should have said this in the first post, there are at least a few high school art positions...there are less middle school ones and no elementary ones that I can find and like I said, in checking the districts' classes and academics I found it's because they literally do not have art for those schools besides the museum or another organization coming in sometimes. I do not want to be picky but I do not think I would be successful at teaching high school art and it would almost be a disservice to the students if I even got the job..my comfort zone is definitely elementary where unfortunately there is just nothing available. This was less about complaint and more just wondering why the schools in that area are like this..why there are no art teachers. I've researched a little more and it sounds like a budget thing.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

Are there any private schools in the area you are looking into?? They might not be advertising jobs right now but maybe you could email them your resume just to have them keep it if an opening comes up. All the private schools I worked in definitely have an art teacher.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

Sounds like a really cool school! Do you know why the turnover is so high?

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

Not sure what region in California you're looking in but or school is looking for a new teacher. Not sure if anyone has accepted the position internally though. If you got hired, you would be teaching independent study (very low stress, no behavior management and you get to really know and help your students) but you could teach art. Any kind of art you want. It would be very much welcomed. We are encouraged to teach electives to enrich the students' experience (we have a child development and a construction / welding teacher(, we used to have a music teacher who taught piano and guitar but she transferred. I teach photography.
    We used t have a teacher who did an art class where they created art, but she also transferred.
    Now we just have a Art History course online.

Our small district has not given pink slips since I've been here (7 years). Well, maybe they did, and I didn't know, but no one lost their job.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2020

Housing costs in the Bay Area vs. the amount of money charter schools pay. A lot of teachers just can't afford to work here. This is a problem throughout the region and is not going to end anytime soon.

For the arts faculty, they are often juggling two careers - they are working as teachers as well as artists, musicians, actors, directors etc.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

That makes sense.

11. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 3, 2020

Yes!! I have actually made a list of private and charter schools within an hour and a half just in case I get super desperate and need to go far. Thanks!!

12. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 3, 2020

This sounds awesome! The university my fiance is most likely attending is University of California Riverside. So I've been looking an hour and a half in every direction. Where is your school? The other problem is, I will not know for absolutely sure until April 15 (that's the ultimate deciding date to decide which school he will attend and he's also holding out for 2 that wait listed him...UCR is the only one that is a for sure acceptance) and I also need to start getting the California certification stuff done..I'm in Ohio and I know there is much more that needs done to be certified in CA!

13. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 3, 2020

After posting this yesterday, today I actually found an edjoin post for an elementary art teacher in a district 20 minutes away from where we'd live. The first one I've seen in the area where I'm looking so far!

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 4, 2020

This would be too far for you. We're about 3.5-4 hours from Los Angeles (north)

15. renrupa2u

renrupa2u Rookie

Apr 6, 2020

Ahh that's too bad!!