Art ideas using limited materials, please help!

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by svg, Oct 5, 2009.

1. svg

svg Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

Hi,
    I've been searching the internet having a tough time coming up with art projects for my first graders (ages 5-8). I am teaching several classes, one of which is creative arts, at a refugee camp in w. africa.
    I would love the kids to be a little more creative as opposed to just want to copy everything i draw on the board.

The problem is, our materials are very limited. We only have access to colored pencils and their notebooks.

Pleas let me know of any ideas, fun things we could do with not a whole lot of materials. At the moment i'm trying to find construction paper for my class, but it seems to be scarce.

Thanks so much,
    Sierra

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 5, 2009

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

West Africa? WoW! My deepest respect to you for working in a refugee camp and teaching art, too.

Is there, maybe, recyclable materials available? Paper of any kind, for instance, if soaked in water and ground to a pulp makes a very nice clay substitute. It can be formed over a plethora of other materials such as plastic bottles or cans. And no need for glue because in most cases the binder in the paper is water soluble and will re adhere once the paper dries.

Got an address?

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I'd be interested in an address as well. I come across many art supplies that I could send to you-I would consider the shipping a donation. PM me if you're interested!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I have a TON of art supplies sitting in my storage room. PM me if you're interested!

7. svg

svg Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

Sorry, I had posted a reply but it doesn't seem to be showing up.

Thanks so much for all your interest! I really appreciate it.
    The camp has an address however I believe it's cheaper and more secure if it's sent through a friends address here.

Kate Davidson
    Unit 2020 Box 84
    DPO, AE 09817

*Please put c/o sierra somewhere on the package. No need to Write Africa, Ghana, or Accra, I think I'm charged more to pick it up if it's not the exact address.

the camp-

Carolyn A. Miller Elementary School
    Buduburam Refugee Camp
    P.O. Box 46, State House
    Accra, Ghana

I would recommend using the first address. Sending anything to the camp will be a lot more expensive because it is a Ghanian address. The first one is a military address and costs the same as sending a package to the U.S.

Thanks again for your help. If anyone would like to check out their website- (i can't seem to post links) Google, Carolyn A. Miller School.

Sierra

8. svg

svg Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

Also, I had sent everyone a message who asked. It's not showing that I sent anything?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 6, 2009

Excellent! I had a great conversation with my student at lunch about this, so we'll be putting together our first box next week when I'm back from a short trip.

I was at the post office today and noticed that two of the flat rate boxes I had grabbed were for AE addresses. It's quite large, and only costs $11.95 to mail. We'll fill one up every few weeks for you-I'll print off a sheet of labels with your address to keep on hand. This could be a cool class project for other teachers who are interested as well!

Are there other supplies that you need besides art supplies? Are there basic supplies that your students might need, or even 'kid' items?

10. svg

svg Rookie

Oct 7, 2009

Wow! You're so efficient.

Again, thank you for all your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. It surprises me how much people are willing to do. Please don't go through too much trouble, anything is appreciated!

As for other materials I spoke to one of the teachers today, and she suggested copybooks. However, they're so much cheaper here I wouldn't bother.

I thought of book bags. A lot of the kids have bags that are on their last legs, and they're just starting school! I remember in grade school we had a toy drive, and would bring in used things and what not. Maybe if your students have any old bags from when they were younger, or are not using anymore instead of tossing them, they would be well used here!

I can't think of anything else at the moment. They don't really have much at all, and family isn't great about supplying them. I'm sure anything that kids generally use/need would be put to use!

Thanks so much,
    Sierra