art curriculum guidelines

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Pickleodeon, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Pickleodeon

Pickleodeon Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Hello, I don't have an art teaching job yet, but I've been wondering about this..

When one gets hired at a school to be an art teacher does the school give you a list of things for your art curriculum, like say, 5th grades should learn symmetry, or 2nd grade should learn cutting skills, etc. Does that make sense? Or is there some source that has this kind of basic guideline of what skills or topics are good for each grade?

While subbing, I saw that the teachers, especially El. school, have a big book of lessons for say, social studies, and every day they have a lesson, day one- lesson 1-1 etc. It's all there for them to follow from the book.

I've never really seen any kind of art text book or guide that says what is a basic rule of thumb for each grade level to learn. I'm not really thinking specific lesson plans, we can come up with our own for each topic, but does such a thing exist, or do schools say, here is a guideline for your curriculum? I can't imagine a school would look into art topics that closely, but how about a textbook (besides the basic art text book for students with things like form, line, elements of art things.) I'm looking for an art teacher's guide.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2009

Your state should have content standards for art for the different grades posted online, somewhere on the state dept. of education Web site.

4. Pickleodeon

Pickleodeon Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Well, I'm not looking for like state and national art standards exactly, we always have to throw those into the lesson plans, but I mean real curriculum guidelines.

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Dec 2, 2009

I've wondered the same thing. My district doesn't really have anything like that. They have a curriculum map..which is really a joke. B/c they just kind of pluck a few of the state standards and say..ok! first nine weeks you talk do this this and this. There isn't really any reason behind what they are doing.

We do have a text series..The Adventure in Art Series. I don't find them helpful or relevant. The only good thing about the series there are assement books..which have great pages to copy for sub plans or as small aesthetics/criticism activities.

I'm in my 3rd year of teaching..so I'm still figuring things out myself.

I really focus on cutting, glueing and 'coloring' skills in K-1. We focus a lot on lines and shapes as well, basic color mixing and the primary colors. And the order of the rainbow! SOOO many of my older students don't know this!

2nd-3rd grade more on secondary colors, Warm and Cool. I start pushing more details as well. 3rd slip and score techniques with clay

4th - Complementary colors, scale, depth,

5th - Tints, Shade, Hue, Intro to Value, 1pt perspective, form/sculpture

6th- color mixing, value, shading, 1 and 2pt perspective.

I'm still trying to organize my brain and connect things more..and I bounce around. Like I did these cool tint and shade frankenstein paintings with first grade. So I'm still organizing and building up my lesson plan base!

6. Pickleodeon

Pickleodeon Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

I subbed/observed for an art teacher in the middle school and she teaches the same lessons for 6-8 grades each year and then chooses another topic for the next year. This year, they're focusing on Africa, but every class is doing the same project, I could not do that.

7. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Dec 2, 2009

even at different grade levels?! that doesn't make sense...b/c the grade levels would be at different skills?

At the elementary level I sometimes..but rarely may do the same thing with like K-1 2-3 4 5-6. And that is usually like the first couple of weeks of school, holiday/gifty things or the end of the year.

8. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Dec 4, 2009

Personally I don't know that things need to be so strictly divided by grade level for students. I taught multi-age art classes last year, and created projects that would be beneficial to a range of skill and developmental levels. The kids were always excited about our projects.

I think the kind of information you find about what concepts are developmentally appropriate will depend on the teacher education program you are in. I feel my program left me hanging in the regard. I've also been told this is the kind of information you gain in student-teaching. However again, my placements did not provide this.

It also depends on this district you teach in. A friend of mine taught in a district last year that outlined the artists and concepts that were to be introduced to each grade level.

This is been a source of frustration for me at times. I felt I had to do a good bit of research in the creation of the lessons I've done so far. More so than other content areas.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 5, 2009

I'm not an art teacher, but I often talk to ours b/c her room is just down the hall. In my district (3 PreK-6 schools and 1 7-8), we only have art as a special for 4-6, and the same teacher teaches it at all 3 schools. She does some monthly "art appreciation" things with the younger grades, but they only get it as a special in older grades. 4th grade recently made stuffed animals (they're huge, and they did them out of some sort of paper, and decorated them and stuffed them and then I'm not sure if they sewed them closed or they jsut drew on stitching lines)... 5th grade idsplay right now is these awesome cakes... I can't remember the artist, but they looked at a lot of his pop art drawings, then made their own cakes by drawing a cylinder, and tinting/shading to give perspective. They look awesome (oil pastels, I think, on black paper). 6th grade display is trees. They modeled their drawing after real branches, had to draw horizon lines, etc. And they worked more on tinting/shading.

The art teacher told me she has some projects that she keeps year-to-year, but other projects that she'll rotate... they'll work on the same concept but different projects each year.

Next year, they're looking to hire at least 1 more art teacher and expand the program down to at least 1st, not sure about K (I think).