Art Class Rewards for Good Behavior????

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by GA Art Teacher, Sep 20, 2004.

1. GA Art Teacher

GA Art Teacher Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can reward my elementary art classes for good behavior? I teach over 1,100 students a week and I have a class behavior chart in my room.
    If the students are working diligently (using thier class time wisely & getting their work done), I reward the class by putting a sticker next to their teacher's name on the wall. After 5 weeks, the classes with the most stickers were told that they would be rewarded. Well, it's been 5 weeks and many of my classes have earned stickers every week. I didn't expect to have such wonderful classes :) What is a good (CHEAP) reward that I can give my classes????

3. MsShea

MsShea Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

Several options you could try:

1)Give them a playground day on the playground.

2) Have a snack party......... allow the students to bring a snack to class.

3) Have a game day - just a day where you play games like "heads up 7-up" - have the students put game ideas in a bucket and let them choose a few to play.

4) Spend a day making "homemade chalk" then take the students outside to decorate the sidewalk or school building (with the principal permission of course)

Here are some other ideas: Classroom Treat Ideas

There are a lot of rewards you can come up with that don't cost much.

4. GA Art Teacher

GA Art Teacher Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

Ms. Shea-
    I only teach the students art. I am not thier regular homeroom teacher. Thank you for the suggestions; however, I only see the students for 35 minutes a day. I'm not sure that those ideas will work for my situation. Perhaps I could take them outside to draw?! I appreciate your response!

5. adria

adria Comrade

Sep 20, 2004

HI at my school I notice that the art teacher uses a reward like the top brush student of the day..she puts it on a color paper and at the end of the class she puts a sticker on their hand...scented. I think that's great.....

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 20, 2004

Rootbeer floats. Cheap rootbeer and a scoop of ice cream. Black Cows Cheap grape soda and a scoop of ice cream. Ice cream cones with a scoop of ice cream. Tootsie Roll Pops = Take a lollipop and cover with a white tissue --makes a ghost And make book marks and laminate. "Excellent Student"...You made a deal so do something cool or you will lose their respect. Kids love Rice Krispee Treats. They are fast and easy to make.

7. GA Art Teacher

GA Art Teacher Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

Thanks, Adria! I like your idea. It works for single students. Do you know of any whole class art rewards? Thanks for the response!

8. GA Art Teacher

GA Art Teacher Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

I like the idea of making bookmarks. It might work for the younger kids. Rootbeer floats is a great reward (esp. for right before a major holiday). I'll think about using that one for thier next reward! Thanks!!!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 20, 2004

The music teacher where I student taught (K-5 building) used "home runs." She kept a running tally of each class' home runs on the board... she could take them away for misbehavior or give them for good behavior... when a class reached 100 (I think... it took them a while!), they earned a prize, which I believe was something like she'd sing a goofy song or something like that... you might be able to come up with something similar for your art kids. :)

Something else I've seen is teachers that make it harder and harder to reach the next reward... so this time, it only took 5 stickers... next time, it might take 7... and so on. :) That way you won't be having to think of new rewards every week for your really well-behaved classes. :)

If you actually want to give tangible rewards, you can get great stuff in bulk from places like Oriental Trading... the art teacher at the school I student-taught at gave stamps and then prizes (once they'd earned enough) to tables of 4 kids or so... they were on top of the world the days they got to dip into the treasure chest! ;)

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 21, 2004

More ideas.....edible crafts. Edible play dough, Chocolate clay, Pretzels Initials. Lots of edible recipes and ideas to make edible crafts. go to www.homeschoolspot.com

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 21, 2004

Hescollin, great suggestions. I think you hit the right angle. Make edible art. It could be a turkey in november out of cookies and hershy kiss. It could be a grahmn cracker with string licorice and icing for a patriotic flag. It could be FRUIT ROLL UP sculptures where they use the fruit roll up and form something. How about Marzipan? Maybe you have gumballs and marzipan and they create a clown! What about decorating cupcakes, or how about making a mozaic using chicklets/gumballs, skittles....
    You could use hescollin's icecream idea.... Make them draw the cone of icecream and then give each a ice cream sandwich!

How about fire balls- i guess you can get peppermints or hot candies and give them out as a child is 'hot' or answering lots of questions and is 'on fire'. Thats an immediate response. Or dumdum lollypops and if a child is NOT a dumdum, answers a question, or behaves properly you give the teeny pop. (it will free up their hands to continue their artwork!!)

12. MrArt

MrArt Guest

Sep 21, 2004

I also teach alot of students each week in the primary level 1-3 grades(although not as many as you) and I also use a sticker system very similar to the one in place at your school. After six stickers, my students receive a "Fun Day" where they get a day to create a project of their choosing. (with guidance of course) What I do is set up a table with different materials. Usually themed. For example, one time it may be all drawing supplies, one time small sculptural supplies, and another painting supplies. The students are allowed to use whatever materials they wish, but must have something completed by the end of the class. The content is up to the student also, but I may put some ideas on the board, or they may select from the "idea jar" (a big plastic jar with scraps of paper with ideas written on it..once they go to the jar they have to do that topic.)
    Giving this reward to the students seems to be the biggest reward for them and promotes their own creativity and individualism. To me this reward is better than any popcorn party or anyother type of food reward.
    For individual rewards, I give behavior ribbons, stickers, erasers, pencils. I even send them with a 'good note' to the principal. The good notes seem to work very well! I have also sent a whole class good note to the principal and had the principal come tot he room to tell the class how proud she is.
    I hope you found this helpful,
    Mr Art

13. ULA

ULA Guest

Sep 21, 2004

I am going to give a special Art party at the end of the year for the class with the most stars. I will do this by grade level.

You can buy a bunch of tiny erasers at the dollar store. I think they are 60-80 for $1.00 and they come in cute shapes/designs.

Popcorn party is also another idea. Provide the popcorn for the class. Have it the last 5 minutes of class.

14. GA Art Teacher

GA Art Teacher Rookie

Sep 21, 2004

Thank you for all of the wonderful responses! I especially love the one about giving them a choice of what kind of artwork they want to create! I never thought of having an idea jar!!!! I am thinking about taking some of my classes outside to do colored chalk drawings on the blacktop. I may even get a few of them sketching Fall leaves. It's such beautiful weather; I may as well take advantage of it before it gets too cold. Please continue to post ideas. I take all of them to heart. You all are a blessing!!

15. missart

missart New Member

Oct 16, 2006

Hi! I too teach only Visual Art and have around 1,100 kids a week too. I'm currently using the "earn a crayon for your box" technique. Each week, each class gets a chance to earn 1 crayon for their class box that holds 8. When all eight are there, they get something appropriate for their age group. I don't have a budget to purchase consumable prizes like stickers and snacks but K-2 might have a free art day like Mr. Art suggested, 2-3 may do free draw, 4-5 could have a computer lab art day or they still love free draw too. I also print out tickets for the little ones to take with them sometimes, and big kids still like stamps where I teach. Just some thoughts for you. These are easy for me to reward with because it only happens once a quarter for those who get all 8 crayons.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 16, 2006

certificate for each child -- printed out on computer (try to get 2 to a page)-- maybe a larger one to put up in the class.

17. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Oct 16, 2006

Free Art

The art teacher at my old school did something similar to MrArt, but she called it "Free Art." She would bring all kinds of supplies and the kids could use them to make anything they wanted(origami, painting, drawing, collages, etc.) She awarded classes that behaved with a "golden brush" on the chart. Classes that earned a certain number would then get free art time that week.

Every Monday on the announcements they would say who got free art...the kids would wait with baited breath to hear which classes would get free art, they really enjoyed it!:)

18. synapse

synapse Comrade

Oct 17, 2006

Why do you think you need to provide rewards?

19. georgiateacher

georgiateacher Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

It sounds like the year has been going great for you. Have you thought about ordering something out of Oriental Trading. They have cheap prizes that come in units or as a reward doing free time or doing a art show in the library for the entire school to see.
    Just curious - where in GA do you teach? I also teach in GA.

20. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

how about... if you make a spinner board (like twister) and when the glass reaches their goal they can spin to see what the reward is
    some rewards...
    generic cans of soda,
    lanyard (gimp)
    a period of cookies and milk,
    a gallon or two of Rita's Water Ice,
    free period to use thier favorite medium
    a video of choice with popped popcorn and juice

hope it helps

21. dreamscometrue

dreamscometrue New Member

Nov 10, 2006

I think you set their goal too low. But since you've already set it up this way, give them a harder goal next time. They should be learning to control themselves without rewards. (When was the last time YOU got rewarded for stopping all the way at a stop sign?)
    With that said, our local community has a "Sidewalk Art show"- you could do something like that and reward them with participating in the "art show". The students would have your class time to draw their artwork with chalk on the sidewalk. Then you could invite other classrooms or the principle to "view" their art work. Appreciation and recognition is just as good a reward as candy or some small trinket you have to buy- and it stays with the child longer! Have fun!

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

Our art teacher did the same where I taught...though not as many students. She would do the recess or free art tine to create something or sidewalk chalk. In the cold months she had access to a large (like movie theatre) popper she would get the stuff or buy the leftover from PTO fundraiser & have popcorn & movie day. I think the kids each got half a bag or less, but enjoyed it just the same.

23. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

dreamscometrue

What a unique idea
    I can't wait to pass it on to our Art Teacher

:love: this site

24. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 12, 2006

How about a "blue ribbon" for the class each day that they achieve the art goal?You can make them out of construction paper and they can take them back and display them in their homerooms.