art attracts insects

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lynnnn725, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

I am thinking of doing the Marshmallow Toes poem. And then have the children glue a marshmallow onto each toe of a cut out foot. I was going to staple the feet on the wall.
    Do you think this will attract critters? Is there anything I can spray on edible items that may attract insects/spiders/etc?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2013

Spray can glue?

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 25, 2013

I once saw a marshmallow on a wire hook in a science room. Supposedly the teacher who had the room hung it there at the beginning of the year so students could observe and record. The next year a new teacher had the room, a math teacher, decided to leave the mallow for posterity sake. When I saw the mallow it had been hanging there for more than seven years almost completely unchanged. No mold, no bugs. Some days it would be sticky and others hard and dry. Completely gross but interesting and also makes one think about never eating a marshmallow again.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

Ahhh yes... We did do a gum drop experiment. I found one on the floor and we just left it on the ledge of my whiteboard all year. It looked the same. Okay, yay! And ewww to what is a marshmallow exactly...

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 26, 2013

If you are in the right climate, marshmallows can last a while.

They're also delicious during disasters - during Sandy, we had no power for 4 days. So we used our fireplace to make smores with 8 month old marshmallows, put the marshmallows in between chocolate chip cookies that were baked by my mom right before Sandy.