art activity

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by shirl, Aug 30, 2007.

1. shirl

shirl Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

I am going to read the big book "I like being me" on the first day of school. I was planning on doing a follow up art activity of them drawing their faces. I want to do more then just paper or paper plates with yarn. Any ideas:).

3. jen0325

jen0325 Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

I had my kids do a self-portrait on a large sheet of tag paper and then I'm going to frame them (with colored construction paper) and hang them in the hallway.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

My kids always do a self portrait on large construction paper. I use a head/shoulders template that I made out of a manilla file folder, so everyone is on the same scale. It is an exercise in following directions. After they finish, I take a black Sharpie and go around the features and the outside of the body and head/hair. Then I laminate them and put them up for the year. They are always adorable. Usually I don't "fix" or mess with their art work, but for this special project, using the Sharpie makes the image "pop" off the bulletin board.

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

What do you mean it is an exercise in following directions. Do you do the whole thing directed? Explain how you do it if you would.:unsure:

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 2, 2007

First I explain about following directions. I explain that one of the big things I want them to learn in first grade is how to think for themselves and make decisions, but this is not the time for thinking for themselves, it is a time to follow directions. I usually do a 1 minute example with Simon Says.

So, first direction is write your name in pencil in the top corner of your paper. Now turn the paper over. Don't do anything until I give the direction.

Then I give the directions to draw their eyes, eyelashes, eyebrows (some of them don't know what eyebrows are!), nose, mouth, hair, etc. I have them draw in pencil, then color in marker. We do one step at a time, and they have to put their pencils on their nametags when they are done with each step. It goes pretty well, but there is always at least one who goes ahead and tries things his own way. Ah well. I try not to stress, but keep reminding them to "wait until I say go!"

So it is a good lesson in following directions. We do a lot of following directions activities during the first 2 weeks of school. Most of them are art related. There is one where I give a blank piece of paper and ask them to take out their crayons. I give odd directions and draw as I go: draw a very big green circle. In the circle draw a small blue person. On the right of the person draw a large orange square. Put a green triangle on the top line of the square. Draw a small yellow circle above the triangle. etc.
    It helps them learn to listen and follow directions.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2007

We have a drawing that looks like a gingerbread man. Then there are instructions for each decoration (ends up looking like raggedy ann doll). For example, if you have a brother, put on a blue button. If you have a sister, put on a pink button.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 2, 2007

Thanks for the idea cutnglue! I forgot to mention, the kids also color the upper torso of the self portrait -- it is so funny because they always draw themselves wearing what they have on that day. Usually they have to do that part in two days. And usually I have to keep telling them, "Color in all the white places," then I have to go fill in more of the white spaces when they are at lunch, again, just because it is a special project and I want it to "pop" from the bulletin board.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2007

We did a full size outline of each kid and then they had to write on the arms, chest and leg areas.

The arms start with "I have___________."
    The chest has "I love _________."
    The legs have "I like to _____________."

Then we took their pictures, blew them up and pasted the face on the face of the outline. We drew boxes around their sentences (and mini pictures) and then they filled in the rest for clothes.

Not the same thing as doing the face, but they could draw it if you wanted.