Arrrgggghhh, cleaning!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, Jul 13, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I am not exactly a neat-freak, but I want my house to be clean. We just moved to New Mexico...lovely house, hardwood floors, interesting tile-work. With the desert climate and sandy lawn out front (and out back too) I have to sweep the floor nearly everyday. I get a thick layer of dust in just a week's time. This is my living room and dining room, which is in the middle of the house! Arrrgghhh! Anyone from the southwest have any tips?

What's your cleaning beef?

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

I'm trying to get motivated right now to clean... but obviously procrastinating on AtoZ in MUCH more important! :) I hate doing laundry.. more specifically folding. I love the cleaning of them and putting them in the dryer but that's as far as I enjoy it... I can't stand folding/hanging them.

On a different note, our foyer/entrance is a mess. We are just getting our lawn started so my feet have been muddy for the past week upon entry. I'm washing that area several times a day.. ugghh!! The bonus is that our grass is just starting. YAY!!!

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I get a TON of dust too! I buy swiffers at Costco to dust with & go through them fast! We also bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner that switches from carpet to floor automatically. Those are the two things that I use the most.

My cleaning beef (besides the dust & dirt) is the hard water ring in the toilet. None of the cleaners I've tried have worked!! Any suggestions?

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I also hate laundry...the folding and hanging part. Plus we do not have a washer/dryer at home.

I need to get a swiffer, that would help a lot.

With the toilet, I sometimes spray a household cleaner or tile cleaner in it after flushing (so the water is low) and then scrub...it helps a bit!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

If it's just hard water, try Lime-a-Way or CLR, and if that doesn't work, use a toilet pumice stone. You may even be able to find one at a dollar store.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Thanks rachaelski & Mrs. K! I'll give all of the ideas a try!

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

I couldn't live without my swiffer! I have all hardwood and I swiffer daily, a few times a day. I even have the swiffer mop for quick clean ups.
    I just have to do the regular mop cleaning every few I'm a barefooter indoors and I hate the feel of indoor dirt on my bare feet!
    I know how frustrating it is to have the dirt and sand from outdoors all over your house. I lived in Puerto Rico on the beach when my oldest was a baby and I had to sweep constantly to no avail! Her poor crib was sandy all the time!!!! As were my mouth and my feet! Yuck! I don't miss that.